spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Max Quality???

I have been using Netflix & Hulu Plus for as long as I can remember on my PC desktop. My mother uses the Netgear NeoTV NTV200 on her 2007 Vizio 37" 720p/1080i. I use my new Roku 2 XS on my 2009 Magnavox 47" 720p/1080i/1080p. Both are plugged into my POWERLINE AV 200 ULTRA ADAPTER XAV2001 adapter's witch is connected to my Belkin N750 DB Wi-Fi Dual Band N+ Router witch my Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 plugs into.

Both media streaming players are out putting at the max CFL LCD HDTV resolution. What is the real world max dpi resolution for SD & HD that both Netflix & Hulu Plus output in??? I want to set both streaming media players to the correct real world dpi resolution.

Joey1973

@verizon.net

Each player should be set to match the max resolution of its output device (or to the highest resolution the player offers if it happens to be less than that supported by the output device). You seem to have already done this.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to floydb1982

said by floydb1982:

What is the real world max dpi resolution for SD & HD that both Netflix & Hulu Plus output in??? I want to set both streaming media players to the correct real world dpi resolution.

By definition, HD is either 720p, 1080i, or 1080p - the max being 1080p. 1080p resolution (not dpi, that doesn't apply here) is available from Netflix and Amazon, not sure about Hulu Plus.

Both are plugged into my POWERLINE AV 200 ULTRA ADAPTER XAV2001 adapter's witch is connected to my Belkin N750 DB Wi-Fi Dual Band N+ Router witch my Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 plugs into.

Your network connection type (or speed) will not impact resolution, just the bit rate, which is a different measurement.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

floydb1982

Kent, WA

My connection is 35Mbps coaxial cable. I can pull the entire 35Mbps on just one Netgear Powerline AV XAV2001 from any A/C outlet anywhere in the house.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by floydb1982:

My connection is 35Mbps coaxial cable. I can pull the entire 35Mbps on just one Netgear Powerline AV XAV2001 from any A/C outlet anywhere in the house.

Obviously I'm missing something. Internet speed and your power adapter have nothing to do with each other.

In any event, as noted, any device connected to the TV (DVD player, Blu-Ray player, Roku, etc.) should typically be setup to use the maximum supported resolution of the screen. The TV will always display ANY input at the screens native resolution. So if the input video resolution is smaller, the TV will simply upscale the image to match the screen resolution. With that said, it won't change the quality. The quality, which in this case is determined by the bitrate, is determined by your internet connection. If your connection is fast enough, you will get the highest data rate from the service. In the case of Netflix, the streaming speeds are tied to the resolution settings. So lowering the resolution will actually decrease the data rate.

From Netflix:

1.0 - 2.3 Mb/s for SD — Standard definition video

2.3 Mb/s - 4.5 Mbs for HD — High definition 720p resolution video

4.5 Mb/s - 9 Mb/s for HDX — Full high definition 1080p resolution video and high definition audio

Over 9 Mb/s for 3-D HD movies
--
Google is your Friend

floydb1982

Kent, WA

My connection being 35Mbps coaxial cable I should get the full 1080p at 9Mbps???

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by floydb1982:

My connection being 35Mbps coaxial cable I should get the full 1080p at 9Mbps???

Yes, if Netflix can stream to you at 9Mb/s it will; it will start off at slower speeds and ramp up to its top speed or until it detects that your connection can no longer go any faster (adaptive bit-rate streaming) without buffering.

Where are you getting the 35Mbps number from? Your ISP? Or?
--

floydb1982

Kent, WA

Comcast

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

If your Powerline adapters are working well (they can be finicky, not unlike wireless) then you will have no problem getting the highest quality and bit stream from online sources.

You can install Vudu for free on most streamers (and many come with it) and in that app there is a free speedtest that would at least test your speed with Vudu servers. If something is really off with your setup, then it might show up there.
--

floydb1982

Kent, WA

My 4 Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapter XAV2001 adapter's are getting the full 200Mbps. from any A/C outlet in the house. So from what your saying I am able to get 9Mbps for 1080p Full HD. I could never get 3D HD movies because I only have a 2D 1080p High Def TV.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by floydb1982:

So from what your saying I am able to get 9Mbps for 1080p Full HD.

Right. Assuming there is no other network congestion between the Netflix servers and you. Again, Vudu has a test for this.
--