uniqs

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

[HSI] Speed tiers?

I'll give a little background before I post so you guys get an idea of what I am trying to do. Anyways I have moved to the Greenville, SC area and will probably be up here for a year or so, I called charter to set up the triple play (since it's cheaper with the phone) and when asked about something in between the 30/4 and 100/5 the rep that I was talking to said there is no in between. Is this the case? Just part of the bundling? Or is there some special way to do this? Thanks.

martsing
join:2011-07-22
Sharpsburg, GA

martsing

Yes, that's the case. Residential class only gets 30/4 and 100/5 but business class has 50/5 I believe.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

That's not cool. There is a big price difference between those two tiers. I was hoping for something like bright house 40/5 or similar. Thanks
ryu4000
join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS

ryu4000 to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
Prices is crazy but i'm also on charter business 50/5 cause i like having unlimited i would go back to resident if they will quit capping.I'm hopping next gen console go full digtal then these isp might back off caps once again.
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260

Premium Member

said by ryu4000:

Prices is crazy but i'm also on charter business 50/5 cause i like having unlimited i would go back to resident if they will quit capping.I'm hopping next gen console go full digtal then these isp might back off caps once again.

not going to happen if anything caps will expand if that happens i suspect even bussnuss customers will be capped in some way shape or form

or there restrict who can get a bussnuss account and require you to provide a Federal Tax Identification Number

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Close enough for me...

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

So, you got charter internet installed 6 hours after your original post ? ? ?
said by bobjohnson:

Close enough for me...

[att=1]

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by compuguybna:

So, you got charter internet installed 6 hours after your original post ? ? ?

said by bobjohnson:

Close enough for me...

[att=1]

Actually yeah, I already had it scheduled for today when I decided to ask the question to you guys... I can change my speed anytime if in fact I could have.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
Looks like you're running good speeds.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to bobjohnson

Premium Member

to bobjohnson
said by bobjohnson:

Close enough for me...

[att=1]

Now, do us all a favor and call Charter back and tell them how stupid you think they are for only having those 2 tiers!! Might make them think about it with you being a brand new customer!

They used to have 4, or more, until just very recently!

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Lol, I actually told them on the phone that it was silly that they didn't have any choices on the speed tiers.
bobjohnson

bobjohnson to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

Looks like you're running good speeds.

I like it so far. The tv isn't what I'm used to with bright house but everything seems consistent.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to bobjohnson

Premium Member

to bobjohnson
said by bobjohnson:

Lol, I actually told them on the phone that it was silly that they didn't have any choices on the speed tiers.

Silly wasn't a strong enough word!

Glad you mentioned it though.

You'll see an occasional weird speed on Charters speed site and most all other too, but it usually runs at about the same speeds you posted 24/7 for me. I have my upload controlled using QoS in router to allow for bandwidth on Vonage phone adapter, so this is actually a very good upload result for me. I'm more usually about 3.8Mbps.

Good luck!!

rahlquist
Redeye
join:2001-10-30
Villa Rica, GA

rahlquist to ryu4000

to ryu4000
How much are you paying for 50/5 if you dont mind me asking. Getting rates from charters site is like trying to a price on a freezer in alaska....

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
Click for full size
i'm not complaining.

»speedtest.ookla.com/resu ··· 6800.png

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA

Jerm to rahlquist

to rahlquist
I think these are just 30/4 users that are seeing POWERBOOST to 40-50mbps.

Generally you can PB up to about 2x your normal speed, but it only lasts for a few seconds or less.

anon guy
@charter.com

anon guy

Anon

I have gotten in the 80s on 30 meg but very very briefly. I wish Charter would just dump powerboost. If you go to the Vudu speedtest it goes over a longer time.

»speedtest.vudu.com/

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
They've been good so far. I will update as it goes. Thank you for your replies.
bobjohnson

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Click for full size
Coming in hot out here... On a 4 way splitter