spc
uniqs

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to resa1983

Anon

to resa1983

Re: New Canadian Bittorrent lawsuit: Who shared "Recoil&quo

Any clue when this will be back in court at Montreal?
hm

hm

Anon

So let's try and make a list of what has gone down so far with Distributel.

1. They put up zero resistance to giving out their customers names (which is not necessarily the one doing P2P).

2. Since they acted like Bell and Videotron by not opposing anything, the court ordered that the names of the people paying for Distributel internet be released.

3. These Distributel customers who may not even know what p2p is then got demand letters for $1,500 or risk going to court for $20,000.

4. Distributel made zero comment on anything, and were happy.

5. Now this Company, NGN Production, gave more IP's to Distrbutel in order to extort more of their customers who may not ever of heard of p2p before.

6. Only now does Distributel raise any sort of fuss to be paid for giving info, and only now do they say that their accounts recivable for the IP isn't the person behind a computer. And only after TSI/CIPPIC are involved in another case which is frustrating the extortion trolls.

7. Only now do they state they are concerned that this can look bad for them in their customers eyes and will affect Distributel as being a choice for people.

Hmm.
Hmm....

Up above I stated, "My view of them has just changed". I think I'll retract that now that I read up on this a bit.

Seems to me Distributel is only opposing this new motion for more of their customers info because they realized they will lose business and word is getting out not to go to them since they have zero regard for their customers.

All this is is a move to not lose customers while other ISP's fight. Thus making Distributel look bad.

Hm, yeah. I wouldn't recommend Distributel to anyone, nor any of their resellers like Acanac, 3web, etc since they have already made their bed and showed us what they are all about. Regardless what they do now to try and correct this in order to remain a consumer choice as an ISP.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Part of it is also that NGN/new company - added to the complaint courtesy of Canipre - submitted a draft order, which includes costs.

I suspect that they're fighting this in part, so that they can actually recover all their costs up to this point, as I bet that NGN's stated amount is insufficient to cover costs to this point.
D_Puckett
Premium Member
join:2013-02-09
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

D_Puckett to hm

Premium Member

to hm
Actually no. The motivation is that we don't like bullies. Distributel receives requests for private information on a regular basis and our answer had been a standard, 'go see if you can find a court to agree with you'. The problem with these copyright cases, as we have realized, is that the court is not able ascertain on its own what is good technical evidence and what is not. It was only after one of our customers received a settlement offer that we realized that the collection of the info was not for cease and desist letters but for $1500 shakedown letters.