spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

TrueCrypt with Secure Boot feature?

Does TrueCrypt have a feature like Win 8 does called Secure Boot?
»www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/20···esponse/

I am guessing not.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

System encryption involves pre-boot authentication, but I didn't find anything as to how that may or may not relate to Secure Boot?

"Microsoft Secure Boot is a component of Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system that relies on the UEFI specification’s secure boot functionality to help prevent malicious software applications and "unauthorized" operating systems from loading during the system start-up process."

»www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/microso···oot.html

Interesting:

More fun with Windows 8 UEFI, Secure Boot, Fedora and Ubuntu

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

So is it good that MS "protects" you in this way?

No! It is 100% horse hockey!

(My initial thought on reading this thread was, "isn't Microsoft & secure in the same sentence an oxymoron".)

OK, OK, so maybe some Enterprise or whatever might want it, but for you or I, it is just more garbage.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to slajoh01

It's on their "future" page so it's in the works.

»www.truecrypt.org/future

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

I would never trust Microsoft's built-in security features. I would rather have third party Enterprise security suites.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to sbconslt

said by sbconslt:

It's on their "future" page so it's in the works.

»www.truecrypt.org/future

I wonder when the next version is coming out. It has been over a year since v7.1a came out.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to slajoh01

Why I'd want to protect my computer from me, loading "unauthorized" (by m$) operating system?

What if I need to backup the whole encrypted TC drive using some disk backup tool based on, as m$ says, "unauthorized" OS, or to run hardware test, using another "unauthorized" OS disk, or even to test-drive a new version of Linux or any other different from Windows 8 OS, or ... etc?

Voluntary locking my computer from myself and allow it to boot only Windows 8 seems silly to me
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...