Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to red2

Re: Advice on Buying Used Hard Drive

Oh, why not: if you have paid for the drive, might as well use it.

quote:
but that won't work on external drives
Rather than putting it in an external enclosure for the testing, can't you wire it up to an internal connector, say in some desktop PC for ease of access, and have it hanging out the case? I do that all the time for testing/fixing things.

quote:
I've been doing some testing of chkdsk but can't get it to save a log of what it finds on an externally mounted drive (usb).
Open a command prompt, run chkdsk, then cut'n'paste the output into an open notepad window.

quote:
I tried to use the chkntfs command.
You know chkntfs doesn't do any checking? It determines what checking is done by autochk (at boot).

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to red2

said by red2 :

I'm buying a backup notebook for my wife. My plan was to replace the hard drive with one of mine (so I know it's secure and reliable). And I was trying to judge whether I could use the drive I remove from the notebook and use it for her backups.

Step 2 would be considering the power supply is functioning properly.
The new laptop i presume would be new, not secondhand.
Failing power supplies can register some of the errors that might have been saved from the previous owner.

I would also suggest "Speed Fan".
It has a smart data breakdown "health bar" and a semi cloud correlation online look-up function for further analysis that is relatively simple to understand.
It will also give you some indication of how the power supplies are travelling.

red2

@fastwebnet.it

Thanks again.

sbconslt, the HDDGuru FAQ says it can support USB if you use a driver to emulate that the drive is SCSI. It also talks about a boot floppy, but I'm not sure what procedure needs to be followed.

"Can MHDD work with USB drives?
A: Theoretically yes. You have to find a driver which turns your USB device into SCSI (under DOS). Then MHDD can work with your device in SCSI mode. The driver is located here: »hddguru.com/content/en/software/ ... OS-Driver/
There is also a very good boot floppy disk available here:
»hddguru.com/content/en/software/ ... Boot-Disk/"

dave, when I run chkdsk it often flashes before I'd have time to save it. There is also NO output file saved when it's run on an external drive as there is on the primary drive. So one trick I read aobut was to use chkntfs to force it do the scan of the external scan on reboot in which case it does save an output file. But no matter what switches i tried, I could not get this to work.

I'm only working off of notebooks so my connection options and access is somewhat limited.

The notebook I'm buying is used hence the reason for wanting to DBan and also test the drive surface to ensure it is reliable for backups.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by red2 :

dave, when I run chkdsk it often flashes before I'd have time to save it.

That's why I suggest running it from a command prompt. The output goes to the same console window that the command prompt is running in, which isn't going away.

(The issue here isn't anything chkdsk does; it's the lifetime of a console window).

red2

@fastwebnet.it

Thanks, dave. Great suggestion. Didn't know that was possible.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

I have only run MHDD on directly-controller-connected SATA drives, not over USB, so no guidance I'm afraid. Like dave said, remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it direct.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

red2

@fastwebnet.it

thanks, sbconslt, but can't do that as I'm working via notebooks and there is no way that I can think of to add another drive except externally. So usb is probably my best bet

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to Cartel

Hell yea, thanks for the link, appears both of my WD 74g Raptors have some sector issues

Maybe I'll buy a new SSD for Steam when my taxes come in