Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billli

join:2012-09-07
East York, ON

[Cable] Speed higher than teksavvy 28mbps

Hi:

I was wondering if Teksavvy will get speeds higher than 28MBPS for their cable service, by reading the forums, I understand that Teksavvy needs to switch over to aggregated POI architecture.

1) Will Teksavvy get faster speeds than 28MBPS in the future? (would the higher speed still offer unlimited)?

2) Is there anyways to subscribe to two 28MBPS package and combine them to get twice the speed?

3) Is unlimited really unlimited? ie) say if I stream TV shows at 28MBPS 24/7 a day. Is this still unlimited? I remember Comcast used to give out network abuse notices to customers, does Teksavvy do this?

Thanks
B

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by billli:

3) Is unlimited really unlimited? ie) say if I stream TV shows at 28MBPS 24/7 a day. Is this still unlimited? I remember Comcast used to give out network abuse notices to customers, does Teksavvy do this?

But Comcast never offered unlimited service. Not stating a cap is not the same thing as unlimited.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to billli
1) Yes.... see »Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

2) Not sure about cable. DSL you can.

3) Absolutely. You get the odd person bragging they get towards 1 TB although in practice this is would a minority of users. I find that Teksavvy prides themselves in not misleading people about the word unlimited. (You will find 28 to be more than enough for multiple streams. Not really sure if many single HD streams really go beyond 10 megabits/s. Many are 5-7.)

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

1 recommendation

reply to billli
It is my understanding that the migration of existing individual head end connections will begin soon. Probably the dates of migration will depend on the expiry of the contracts for the links to TekSavvy's routers in Toronto.

Speeds should be permitted to be increased with that change. It is TekSavvy's intent to continue to offer unlimited services from what they've said. Now whether it will be economically viable under the new pricing rules coming down may be another matter.

Whilst you may be able to get two 28 mbps packages, you can't combine them for twice the speed.

Unlimited really is unlimited. Even the 300 GB packages are currently unmetered so if you should go over, you aren't going to be billed in Rogers footprint) No "abuse" messages.

If you stream TV shows 24/7 I would suggest you don't have a life but that's your concern not mine

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to billli
said by billli:

Hi:

I was wondering if Teksavvy will get speeds higher than 28MBPS for their cable service, by reading the forums, I understand that Teksavvy needs to switch over to aggregated POI architecture.

1) Will Teksavvy get faster speeds than 28MBPS in the future? (would the higher speed still offer unlimited)?

2) Is there anyways to subscribe to two 28MBPS package and combine them to get twice the speed?

Thanks
B

1) Yes.

2) As far as I know, you can't do this on one cable line with a single ISP...the system won't let you. However, while Rogers will tell you that you can't, it is technically possible in some locations to run two cable modems on the same line at the same time...for example one from TekSavvy and one from Start. The question is whether you can get around system constraints designed to prevent you from doing that. Alternatively, you could buy a cable and a dsl package, and then combine them. To combine two or more modems of any kind into a single connection, you will need specialized equipment. Others here will know more about the details...it's a lot easier with multiple DSL connections.

3) As far as I know, yes. Never heard of TSI treating unlimited as anything but truly uncapped. No warnings. That being said, obviously it's not a good idea to max out your connection 24/7 just for fun...if enough people behave that way, unlimited plans will definitely get more expensive.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Unlimited really is unlimited. Even the 300 GB packages are currently unmetered so if you should go over, you aren't going to be billed in Rogers footprint) No "abuse" messages.

really, never heard dat, cant wait for teksavvy then to go aggregated so i can signup with them in bolton

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
My understanding is TSI can look up customers individually if they really need to for usage but there is no portal for customers to look up how much TSI thinks they have used. So in practice this means people who go over a little likely won't get charged extra. But there are overage fees on the books (peak at $25 bucks) so don't get mad if you do. Play fairly... if you are going to go over by any significant amount make the switch. If it gets abused it gives TSI good reason to change the status quo.

This all applies to TSI Cable in the Rogers area. I have no idea about the others.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
said by graniterock:

My understanding is TSI can look up customers individually if they really need to for usage but there is no portal for customers to look up how much TSI thinks they have used. So in practice this means people who go over a little likely won't get charged extra. But there are overage fees on the books (peak at $25 bucks) so don't get mad if you do. Play fairly... if you are going to go over by any significant amount make the switch. If it gets abused it gives TSI good reason to change the status quo.

This all applies to TSI Cable in the Rogers area. I have no idea about the others.

so how is a customer supposed to know what their usage is so they dont get dinged for overage, currently im using 300-500gb /month on 6mb dsl measured by my router w/tomato, but if i didnt have that router i would not know what i was using as my provider Colosseum doesnt have a usage monitor

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
Search the threads it's been discuess a few times. Just to clarify what I was trying to say.... unofficially they aren't charging people generally because of this problem (no customer reader). Everything else I said was so that people can't get mad at me if TSI closes the loop hole.

Most people going significantly over (like 500+ likely have a good idea). My personal experience is I have to work pretty hard to hit 300 with an internet loving household. So it would be "polite" if people didn't abuse this because the status quo is nice.

This doesn't apply to DSL as they have a meter. And may also not apply non-ontario-rogers-cable area.

(Fun Fact: DSL customers in ontario (and maybe other places as I can't see their pricing pages) get free usage between 2am and 8am. So you could get 500 GB in a month for the price of 300 GB package if you keep your extra usage in the overnight).

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to billli
For those on TekSavvy cable internet in Rogers area, there is no measurement tool. If you are on a 300 GB plan then you are on your honour to use less, but there is no way to ding you for going over.

anonymouz

@teksavvy.com
reply to billli
speedtest gives me 30mbps download speed and .50mbps uplaoad speed.

that is when i try it around 4:00am in the morning and not many people are using the cable )

LiLGh0st

join:2011-01-06
Scarborough, ON
reply to billli
To answer your second question, it's possible.
I remember someone subscribed to two links by telling them that their second link is to a tenant in a room. Don't quote me on this though.
Though to make it work, you'll need a server with the bandwidth of your aggregated links, upload and download.
So in other words, you'll need a server with at least 56mbps up/down.
I'd recommend Zeroshell if you're going to try this.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to billli
The result is 2 by 28 Mbps connections. They aren't "bonded" to form 1 effective connection. In other words, you can have one download at 28 Mbps on one IP (modem) and another 28Mbps download on another IP (modem). You can't get a single download running at 56.

People have managed to get 2 services to the same premises. There's usually no technical reason you can't unless your signal is marginal, although the cable companies have thrown up all kinds of reasons why they can't, and most of them are fibs. The easiest way is to get service to a "basement apartment" as the second line. The installation tech won't usually care.
Expand your moderator at work

billli

join:2012-09-07
East York, ON
reply to graniterock

Re: [Cable] Speed higher than teksavvy 28mbps

said by graniterock:

Most people going significantly over (like 500+ likely have a good idea). My personal experience is I have to work pretty hard to hit 300 with an internet loving household. So it would be "polite" if people didn't abuse this because the status quo is nice.

I know I'm a heavy user, so naturally I subscribed to the unlimited package. I was just wondering if Teksavvy has a limit on these unlimited packages, before it is considered as "abuse"

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
said by billli:

said by graniterock:

I know I'm a heavy user, so naturally I subscribed to the unlimited package. I was just wondering if Teksavvy has a limit on these unlimited packages, before it is considered as "abuse"

If you are unlimited. It truely is that. Never once has there been a confirmed case of TSI limiting an unlimited customer. If you don't believe PM TSI Marc and ask him yourself!

To quote 2 Unlimited:

Open your ears and you will hear it. I tell you this 'cause there's no limit! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no ,no, no... There's no limit!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFd5Cci_pE4