share rss forum feed

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to elefante72

Re: This is why I decided not to choose TWC as my new ISP

quote:
3. Don't even think about getting your phone ported over because that will be a nighmare and you don't want them holding your number. I went w/ 2 play.
When I switched from Verizon to Time Warner three years ago, after the tech did the install and swapped out modems, he said it will take up to 15 minutes for the number to be ported over. As he was leaving my driveway I picked up the phone and I had a dial tone. It was more like 2 minutes. While I’m sure there has been a problem or two porting numbers, Time Warner is the fifth largest phone company in the country. I doubt they’d have millions and millions of subscribers if it was a ‘nightmare’.
--
Dale Jr, Riding Daddys Coattails Since February 18, 2001!

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
said by Happydude32:

quote:
3. Don't even think about getting your phone ported over because that will be a nighmare and you don't want them holding your number. I went w/ 2 play.
When I switched from Verizon to Time Warner three years ago, after the tech did the install and swapped out modems, he said it will take up to 15 minutes for the number to be ported over. As he was leaving my driveway I picked up the phone and I had a dial tone. It was more like 2 minutes. While I’m sure there has been a problem or two porting numbers, Time Warner is the fifth largest phone company in the country. I doubt they’d have millions and millions of subscribers if it was a ‘nightmare’.

First time, it was smooth as you say. But the second time I made my escape from horrible Verizon(they did used to be ok in the old days of broadband, if you lived in decent proximity to the CO, lower latency than cable, but those days are long gone), it was a nightmare. Turned out the issue was not TWC, but Verizon and their billing department not doing their job. I choked it down and told TWC to give me a new number instead. Then they had me up in minutes. I use Voice over IP these days, so now I will keep the same number from now on, as I switch internet providers as circumstances require(like if I move again). Quality actually rivals a good landline on the cheap(nearly free).
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.