spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nynjspeed
join:2001-09-10
Howell, NJ

1 edit

nynjspeed

linksys router + giga switch + nas = xfer speeds slow?

I have the following set up and I can't quite figure out if there is a setting I am missing or if it is a hardware limitation that doesn't get me quicker xfer speeds for my nas:

- Linksys WRT54G v8.0 (latest stock firmware)
- TRENDnet TEG-S50G Gigabit Switch
- 3TB Buffalo NAS #LS-V3.0TL (says up to 76mb/sec speed)
- Acer Revo R3610 (4gb ram, 640gb 7200rpm drive, Win7 Ultimate 64bit)

The Linksys, Gigabit switch, NAS and Revo are all hooked up to the switch via CAT6 cables.

The Gigabit switch (has no configuration) and NAS support jumbo frame..and have also set the jumbo frame to the max 9,694k choice on the NAS. I also have an option in the Revo's nic for 'jumbo packet' which I can select from 1514 to 9014...that was also set to 9014k. The properties on the Revo's nic says I am hooked up at 1gps.

Copying from Revo to NAS and vice versa gets me about 25mb/sec speed. 1.5gb avi took about 1 minute. Pretty fast but no where near the 'up to 76mb/sec' speeds I could be getting...I'd be happy if I could get closer to that 76mb/sec speed.

Is it my Linksys router that is the limitation? The 1500 MTU max setting? I was reading up on the DD-WRT firmware but not sure if that would allow the 'jumbo frame' speed option/increase.

Is it the hard drive in the Revo?

Thanks for the help
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer

I do not see the router being involved in this network traffic at all.

Assuming you are using static IP addresses, you should be able to remove it and get the same results.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI to nynjspeed

MVM

to nynjspeed
Like jimbopalmer See Profile says, the the router is out of the picture. Yes, I would say it likely the spinning disk drive in the NAS is the bottleneck.

Try something small that takes a few seconds. Then... immediately try it again. It may now be in NAS cache to deliver this claimed speed, taking the spinning drive out of the picture. How long it can pump such speed depends mostly on the cache size.

If you then see a speed increase, welcome to the world of "up to" claims. Otherwise, it would be difficult to identify the bottleneck without substitution of components and cables.

About "Jumbo Frame" (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju ··· bo_frame). It's one of those half-standards for marketing to play with. It could be fighting things. Turn it off and note the results.

And, there's always the possibility they creatively lied. Seems to be common these days.

EDIT: For clarification and additions.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar to nynjspeed

to nynjspeed
You did not say what protocol you used for file transfers. I assume SMB with samba.

I would try other protocols like ftp and NFS and compare speed.

If all protocols are slow then start to remove devices. Connect directly to NAS, test drive speed locally on the NAS and Win7 machine.

If one protocol is fast then it is time to tune samba. There is a ton of information on samba tuning.

mark42
join:2006-02-07
Blairstown, NJ

mark42 to nynjspeed

to nynjspeed
Just a FYI...

I have a Linksys EA2700 router, gigabit switches (TP-Link), and cat-5 cable (about 150 ft). A Windows Home Server 2011 (using two WD Green Desktop 2TB SATA 6.0 GB/s drives) is connected to the router, so is a switch, and a Win 7 desktop is connected to the switch. All devices have gigabit NIC's, and all drives are 3Gps minimum. Moving a 2.5 gig video file from the desktop, through the switch (actually two switches), through the router to the Server typically yeilds about 800Mbps, depending on what is going on. With no traffic on the system, the speed does peak at 1Gbps.

So, if my system reaches max using old cat-5 and long runs of it, is not tuned at all, and has more hardware to pass through than your path takes, then I would look at the drive specs in the Acer and the NAS.

I have an Acer 5742 laptop w/win 7 and when connected with a cable gives similar performance as the desktop does. Therefore I would look at the drives in the NAS first.

JMHO. Hope this helps.

BTW, WHS '11 is only about $50, and it just needs a 64 bit pc to run on. A cheap upgrade from the NAS.