San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jbob

Re: NID wiring question

said by jbob:

To clarify it looks like the current connection, as in the picture, the working line is plugged into the Test Jack on the NID.

Weird. Usually there is a "wiring bridge" from the test jack to the line module (orange blocks), such that the telco side is connected to the blocks via the "wiring bridge". Disconnecting the "wiring bridge" disconnects the premises wiring. It appears that the "wiring bridge" has been replaced by the wire to the filter/splitter. I am guessing that none of the orange blocks are live.

Wiring bridges in a two-line NID.

The photo is the NID at my mother's house. The eight screws are equivalent to your orange blocks. The test jacks are occupied by the "wiring bridges" from the screws to the telco. Your photo suggests that the line "wiring bridge" has been removed, and the test jack side permanently wired to the premises. I found a diagram which shows these "wiring bridges":

»www.homephonewiring.com/nid.html

So where is the "wiring bridge" in your photo?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
Yeah that is the issue. I am unfamiliar how this specific NID works. The orange blocks are on a plugable module.

I think this type does not use the "wiring bridge" as we're used to seeing. It appears to get "hot" by simply plugging in the whole module assembly. But that is why it is confusing. Why does the test jack work but the orange blocks do not appear hot?

I will have to attempt a closer inspection of the NID to determine just how it operates. I haven't found any examples online of this type of NID other than pictures. I should have written down a model number.

I can simply install a connector onto the CAT3 end and plug that into the test jack to "get by"

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to NormanS
New installs (at least in Ameritech's region) does not have these. They're a new NID such as the OP posted.