share rss forum feed

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to koira

Re: [Weather] Special weather statements ON, NB, NS, NL

Hah! Great example of good neighbour-ness. I started slowly shoveling out my driveway wondering how I was going to deal with that mass of snow not to mention the great big icy plow drift at the end, and a neighbour with a pickup and plow attachment came over and cleaned the whole thing out in seconds. Now I'm back in the house contemplating a hot rum and cider, and I'm still **almost** keeping to my record of not having really shoveled snow since about two winters ago!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

lugnut

@communications.com
More good karma.

The neighbour who got stuck in front of my house yesterday and I allowed to park in my driveway overnight just rang my doorbell with a bottle of wine in hand as a "thank you" for helping her out. Not to mention she sent her husband this AM before I poked my nose out the door to shovel by hand the crap that the plow dumped blocking her in. I ended up having to do no more shoveling this morning than a bare minimum to clean up the edges.

Sure it's a Chilean Cabernet with a screw top cap but it's the thought that counts. Besides, I'm not really a wine drinker these days but I'll make good use of it cooking up a Hungarian Goulash or something this week.

What goes around comes around

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
Screw-top caps mean nothing, as they are well engineered these days and some very good and surprisingly costly wines are bottled that way. Also, while South American wines tend to cost less than those from many other regions, Chilean and Argentinian wines can hold their own with many excellent wines from other places, and often represent excellent value. So before you go pouring that Cab into a goulash, check it out and you may be surprised!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Wolfie00:

Screw-top caps mean nothing, as they are well engineered these days and some very good and surprisingly costly wines are bottled that way.

Indeed. The chance of the wine spoiling due to a bad seal are comparatively quite high with cork than it is with a screw top. The only reason most wineries haven't switched to them is because of consumer perception.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

So before you go pouring that Cab into a goulash, check it out and you may be surprised!

You've sold me!!! McCain Pizza Pockets and Chilean Cabernet for dinner tonight it is!!!

But seriously though, everyone in this household is on too much medication to drink more than a glass at a sitting anyway. Age range here is from Old Fart to Ancient. I'll try a glass when I open it, but chances are most of it will end up in the cooking anyway.