how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skeptical1

@sbcglobal.net

[DISH] Free Dish Hopper really a lease?

Click for full size
I started to order the America's Top 120 package that includes a FREE Dish Hopper.

However, I noticed that the FREE Dish Hopper has a note that states:

"Monthly DVR fees and receiver fees apply."

Does anyone know how much the DVR rent/lease fees are for the Free Dish Hopper?

Juan Doe

@comcast.net

Looks like $7/mo for the receiver fee and $10/mo for the DVR fee.

Also note that the fee schedule lists a non-refundable $79 activation fee.

www.dish.com/downloads/legal/flex24.pdf

So after the 12-month honeymoon is over, that $24.99 package jumps to $67/mo.

ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to skeptical1

said by skeptical1 :

I started to order the America's Top 120 package that includes a FREE Dish Hopper.

However, I noticed that the FREE Dish Hopper has a note that states:

"Monthly DVR fees and receiver fees apply."

Does anyone know how much the DVR rent/lease fees are for the Free Dish Hopper?

I agree with you, skeptical1. I've raised this issue of the "free Hopper" before, but the Dish apologists come back with the remark about the fine print that states "DVR fees apply..." Right! So what's so "free" about the Hopper? Nothing. It's akin to false advertising. And yes, of course you don't have to "pay" for the Hopper, but a monthly lease fee is still not "free."

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state
reply to skeptical1

You would still be getting it cheaper than me. Existing Dish customers have to pony up $100 bucks to upgrade....Beside Every other Provider out there Charges these fees. If you really want to be truly feeless go buy an antenna!

ernliz

Albemarle, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by XPAMD:

You would still be getting it cheaper than me. Existing Dish customers have to pony up $100 bucks to upgrade....Beside Every other Provider out there Charges these fees. If you really want to be truly feeless go buy an antenna!

You obviously missed the entire point about the advertisement offering "free" Hopper services. Ugh....

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state
reply to skeptical1

Click for full size
Then you've missed the point of their advertising or anyone's advertising. You would have to Complain about Direct TV's Genie because they basically do the same thing.

Every TV provider out their charges some sort of DVR fee and/or Equipment fee.

What dish is advertising is the box, the Hopper Box itself is free for New and previous customers.

In your reply to me you said they advertise the "Hopper Service" as free. They don't go out there and claim the Service is free.

I got your point and your point is flawed. Your looking for an excuse to not get the service, period. That's fine.

Your point or claim is they are falsely advertising. The real point is you don't like the below the belt fee's all of these companies charge. The DVR Service Fees, Equipment Rental Fee, you name it they Charge it. Direct TV does it, Dish Network does it, Verizon FIOS does it, Time Warner does, Cablevision does it. While they do legally cover themselves it does stink. Your preaching to the choir here

It will take an act of Congress to change the way these companies operate. But I think you and I both know that isn't going to happen as Congress can't even agree to anything themselves!

StandUp

@comcast.net
reply to ernliz

said by ernliz:

I've raised this issue of the "free Hopper" before, but the Dish apologists come back with the remark about the fine print that states "DVR fees apply..." Right! So what's so "free" about the Hopper? Nothing. It's akin to false advertising. And yes, of course you don't have to "pay" for the Hopper, but a monthly lease fee is still not "free."

Agreed! The fact that D* doesn't include ALL the monthly fees on the order summary page screams fraud to me.

People that defend that practice are chumps.

ernliz

Albemarle, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to XPAMD

said by XPAMD:

I got your point and your point is flawed. Your looking for an excuse to not get the service, period. That's fine.

Sorry, I STILL don't think YOU get it. It's all about the advertising ethics. What would you think of Avis Rental Car Co. offering a "free" car, rental fees apply.

FWIW, I haven't seen DTV, TWC, or any other service offer "free" hardware (vs. free upgrade). Anyway, this conversation has run its course. And finally, I do plan on getting Dish soon, after some TWC business gets completed. Or should I go DirecTV? I'd REALLY like some comment on that!

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

My thoughts:

Sports Fan? - Choose DirecTV
Otherwise - Dish
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

scottct1

join:2002-01-28
Newington, CT
reply to skeptical1

No matter who you get... DISH, DIRECTV or even cable, the receivers are leased (rented) to you. They are not your property.

I have the new DISH Hopper with Sling and it is amazing, it really changes the way you watch tv!