Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Roop

join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON

cisco router for teksavvy mlppp on vdsl

hey guys,

i know some of you are using cisco routers for mlppp setups. i'm planning on going to 2x 25mb vdsl with a cisco router like this:

pfsense firewall -> cisco with two vdsl cards -> phone lines

i don't want the cisco to do any pppoe authentication, that will be done by pfsense. if i could do this with some used gear for under $1000 it'd be nice. any recommendations of parts or anyone want to sell me their setup?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by Roop:

hey guys,

i know some of you are using cisco routers for mlppp setups. i'm planning on going to 2x 25mb vdsl with a cisco router like this:

pfsense firewall -> cisco with two vdsl cards -> phone lines

i don't want the cisco to do any pppoe authentication, that will be done by pfsense. if i could do this with some used gear for under $1000 it'd be nice. any recommendations of parts or anyone want to sell me their setup?

It doesn't make sense why you would want to use the Cisco router like a set of overpriced VDSL2 modems. It would make a lot more sense having the PPPoE/MLPPP session terminate on the router.

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14
reply to Roop

I'm using Cisco 1921 router for bonding two VDSL2 lines (2x25Mb MLPPP). In my configuration Cisco does PPPoE authentication. It doesn't match a little bit your requirement but I can provide you with such configuration as a start point.

Let me just recommend you one important thing. Before buying and setting up a Cisco router get somehow the information about DSLAM your equipment is going to be connected to. If it is an old Bell's Stinger then multi-mode Cisco modems (I have EHWIC-VA-DSL-A) will not work because this kind of remotes don't fully support VDSL2 protocol.

If you are on Alcatel 7330 then you are OK to use VDSL cards.

I was unlucky and my modems didn't work. So I had to buy an HWIC-2FE module and use 2 external Cellpipe modems Bell provided me with.

Anyway I have two Cisco router configurations, for internal modems and for external ones. Just let me know which one you need and I can public it for you.