altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to altermatt

Re: [Northeast] Bad Weather, Bad E-mail---Again

One expects that service may be a bit flaky when there's a major storm; I've been around computers long enough to understand that. As always, it's good to see confirmation from others, and good to hear that VZ was aware of issues (they often don't admit to it.) I'm sure other providers had somewhat spotty service for a bit yesterday too in this area.

But one of the points I was making is that there is a long history of email getting very flaky everytime there's any bad weather---I don't mean a mofor storm, but even just rain. And it goes back to the DSL days, so I kinda thought they ought to have addressed that piece by now .

Webmail was not working either yesterday, although here, the internet was working pretty well. For us, it was just mail that was failing. All seems back to normal now, if occasionally a tad slow.

As for the server changes, they don't work for me, and I wasn't notified by VZ yet. I wonder if they might not work for everyone yet?
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by altermatt:

As for the server changes, they don't work for me, and I wasn't notified by VZ yet. I wonder if they might not work for everyone yet?

As shown by past history, the migration is started well before notification is made. Witness the port change migration.

If you make the server name change, and it's not working, you'll get a connection error message. I can't tell from the error message you posted earlier if the problem was due to a server connection or an internet connection problem. The result is the same but the difference is subtle.

Suggest making the server name change and testing when you have good results connecting elsewhere as well. In other words, not when there's the evening or peak use time slow down that seems to occur lately.