spc
Search similar:

uniqs

newbie101
@charter.com

newbie101

Anon

which brand of modem to buy for charter internet

I want to upgrade my modem, can you please recommend which brand has less problem to use with charter internet?

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

They have recently changed their plans/policies and the prices include a modem. Be sure to check with *your* location to see if they will let you provision your own modem now.

I am using a Motorola SB 6121 which works well where I am, and is provided by Charter in some areas.

newbie101
@charter.com

newbie101

Anon

Thank you for your recommendation...I am in the old plan, which they are charging me for the modem....that's why I have my own modem, but got the 2.0,.

May I know, does your moto 6121 have any issue with any wireless router? I mean with your wireless router? may I know which one are you using? I heard some modem does not work well with certain wireless router.

Thank you for your help.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

My router is a Netgear 3800, and [knock on wood] it has worked fine with my modem and Charter service. I got it in July 2012.

newbie101
@charter.com

newbie101

Anon

thank you again for your help....glad your router is working fine.

I got the NG3700, now I am losing wireless signal..I only have this almost 2 yrs....bummer..need to buy another one.

anon guy
@charter.com

anon guy to newbie101

Anon

to newbie101
Are you on the old 30 meg plan? Or even the old 15 meg plan? The new 30 meg pricing is $50 and includes the modem.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit to newbie101

to newbie101
Maybe your router will work with a 3.0 modem?

Have you checked in the Netgear forums for an answer to your signal losses on the 3700?

anon guy
@charter.com

anon guy

Anon

I have a Netgear 3400 and it works with the SB6121 just fine so I would assume the 3700 shouldn't be an issue.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

That's what I was thinking since the 6121 works with mine, and there's not much difference in those 2 routers.

Hopefully a change in modems will fix the OP up.
RonSMeyer
join:2000-05-12
Saint Louis, MO

RonSMeyer to msmisfit

to msmisfit
I had an NG 3700 that lost wireless after 2 years as well. I'm thinking that's about all they're worth. I have an NG R6300 at the moment and I'm very happy with it. But if it only lasts two years it will be my last Netgear router. My modem is SB6121 which so has worked terrifically. I own the modem, it was not supplied by Charter.
Ryan818
join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

Ryan818

My experience recently with Charter is that they will not allow a customer to keep their own modem if you decide to change your service plan with them. I had a Motroloa 6120 that I owned for the last 2 years. I was told that I had to use a Charter provisioned modem when I cancelled my TV service. I got stuck with a not so amazing Cisco DPC3008. So I can't speak for everyone but it appears in my area you can't keep your own modem. It sounds like they will however let you provision a new one based on the posts I have read here. Pretty weird how this varies from customer to customer.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to RonSMeyer

to RonSMeyer
said by RonSMeyer:

I had an NG 3700 that lost wireless after 2 years as well. I'm thinking that's about all they're worth.

I'm sorry to hear this, and feel as you do, if my present NG 3800 router doesn't last but 2 yrs., I'll be switching brands again.

My faithful old Linksys WRT 54G lasted six years, and was still working fine, just wouldn't get the speeds I was paying for after buying a Moto SB 6121. I sure got my $50 out of that router.

anon guy
@charter.com

anon guy to RonSMeyer

Anon

to RonSMeyer
said by RonSMeyer:

I had an NG 3700 that lost wireless after 2 years as well. I'm thinking that's about all they're worth.

Oh don't say that my NG 3400 just passed the 2 year mark just 2 days ago.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

My linksys modem (CM100 I think) has been more reliable than any motorola I've ever had.
mikiee
join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO

mikiee to Ryan818

to Ryan818
This week I was thinking of dropping my basic TV because it's going up $10 a month in March and I don't really use the TV part of cable that much. Are you saying that I will have to give up my own modem if I cancel the TV? Will I be charged for their modem? I am currently on the second year of a price guarantee for internet. ($34.99 month for 15/3 service)

BIGDOG_3
join:2002-09-27
Belleville, WI

BIGDOG_3 to newbie101

to newbie101
Just got the SB6141 last night to replace the Charter modem. I am on 30/4 plan. previous speeds with the Charter modem were 20-30 down and 3 up. After I got the modem up and running I got 50/4 consistently. I was worried I wasn't going to be able to change modems because I didn't realize that Charter wasn't allowing personal modems anymore. But it worked!

newbie101
@spcsdns.net

newbie101

Anon

Well, I pulled the trigger got me a moto sb6141, wihich came with a free dlink 517 router...provision it, now I m getting 15mdown/3mup. hope it stays that way.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

That's great that you got a free router and everything is working together!

Did you try your NG 3700 just to see if it would work better with a new modem?
FOXHOUND5
join:2002-01-12
Watsonville, CA

FOXHOUND5 to newbie101

to newbie101
Got me a 6121 from staples then went online and put in the MAC address and i was good to go.

newbie101
@charter.com

newbie101 to msmisfit

Anon

to msmisfit
Yes, I did try my NG3700, still no signal....so it's dead, wired still works. so far the new dlink is working ok...just hope it last me at least a year...reviews for the dlink is not very good.

Now, my speed is back to 15/3up..with my old router I was only getting 3 down/3up, but was paying for the 15/3.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

That's a shame about the NG 3700, but useful info for other readers of this forum. Thanks for sharing.

Really glad the Dlink is working for you. I had read some not so favorable reviews on some of their routers before I bought a new one last year, but then Netgear had some bad reviews too.