Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

neotron

join:2003-09-16
Seattle, WA

1 edit

[FiOS] Router upgrade

I'm currently running with a ActionTec MI424WR GEN2 Rev F router. Several times per week I need to restart the router. Having done research it seems like this is due to NAT limits and I do indeed see "out of NAT" in the security log.

I also read that Rev G and rev I improves this significantly and that you can buy a Verizon Rev I for 85 bucks or so.

Will the Verizon router work with Frontier FIOS? I currently only use it for Internet, but that might change. We don't use provided DVR's (just TIVO with cable cards) in case that makes a difference.

As a side note, based on what I've read, I assume Frontier does not provide newer revisions of this router?

Question

@frontiernet.net

I do know that new installs in OR are receiving rev.I routers. Not sure how that helps, but they do have them around.

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to neotron

Any router will work, provided your data service is provided over Ethernet. This is trivially easy to accomplish and, once done, you can connect any router you like. Unless you have a need for coax networking--which, it sounds like, you don't--I'd just go buy a router you like from Fry's or Amazon and ask Frontier to switch your service to Ethernet.

(You are local, so I'll make the same offer that I've made before: If you need free guidance, send me a PM and I'll help you out. I'm in Redmond.)

neotron

Seattle, WA

Right now I wouldn't need coax, but if we're going to use FIOS for TV (which it seems they still offer), we would need it right? Also the house is wired from the garage to a closet where the router is, and changing to ethernet would require new wiring (although I have ethernet in the Garage, so it wouldn't be terrible).

I checked with Frontier and they suggested going to their store location to see if I could trade up. I'll try that first.

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

You'd still need coax going to your TiVos, but your router wouldn't need to be connected to coax. Frontier set-top boxes require data on coax for guide information and video on demand.

(And yes, Frontier still very much offers FiOS TV. They're doing another sales presentation at my apartment complex this weekend.)

neotron

Seattle, WA
reply to neotron

Forgot to post an update - I went to a nearby retail location, handed them the old modem and got a rev G router. I didn't even have to ask or explain - she just got it.

Awesome service, and it did fix the issue. Since changing router, I haven't had any hanging problems.

clemon79

join:2013-07-16
Redmond, WA

Apologies for the bump, but this topic is exactly what I want to ask about.

I have a painfully old Rev. F (I signed up for FiOS RIGHT before Frontier took over), but a friend of mine who recently signed up tells me they are handing out Rev. I's now, which have gigabit Ethernet. I would like gigabit Ethernet, and I'm going to want it even more if I ever get around to setting up Media Center and start slinging video all over my apartment.

So what I'd like to know: was there any charge for the trade-in on your router, or did they just swap it out, no questions, no fuss, no muss?

Also, if for some reason I encountered resistance swapping routers, and I did want to pick up a Verizon-branded Rev. I off of Ebay, going back to the first question in the thread, would it work? (I do need to use coax due to how everything had to be installed in my apartment complex; I have FiOS TV as well.) Of course I assume that would involve a call into Frontier tech support to activate it on their system.

Thanks much!

-- Chris

neotron

Seattle, WA

There was certainly no charge, nor problem, with the trade-in. In fact when I got there, she just took it to the back and got a new one without me even asking, which was quite amusing. She knew what I needed before I asked for it.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if a verizon router is compatible or if they have custom firmware or anything.

tomab

join:2006-06-13
Everett, WA
reply to clemon79

"I have a painfully old Rev. F"

I've got Rev. C - I signed up when Verizon was rolling fios out. What do I gain with a router upgrade?

clemon79

join:2013-07-16
Redmond, WA

Mine has 802.11n wireless, which I don't think the C's have. In addition the newer ones also have gigabit wired Ethernet.