Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brownd

join:2007-01-05
Fanwood, NJ
reply to bushleaguer

Re: [DVR] Choopy on demand

I hardly ever watch on demand so I have no idea how long it's been like that. I know the last time we ordered a movie, it was OK and then last week when we ordered one it wasn't so I really don't know. I'll try resetting the DVR and the router.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
Even though the tech was there, check the tightness of ALL the coax connectors between the ONT and your STB(s).

I had an issue, a while back, where most regular channels were OK and others had pixel blocking and digital noise but only on one STB. No amount of resetting or rebooting fixed the problem. I finally checked the connectors along the coax run to that box and found that the one that connected to the F connector in the wallplate was just barely loose. I finger-tightened it and have had no problems since.

I then looked at the other two STBs' coax and found another that one other was just slightly loose but was not causing any grief.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Yep - good advice. Had the same issue with 2 HD channels a while back. They were the only 2 to pixellate, but because they were only breaking up on one TV, I knew it couldn't be the ONT. I checked the connections behind the TV - cable to splitter, and from the splitter to my DVR and my router. Sure enough, the coax connection going into the splitter was barely loose. Hand tightened it and the problem went away.

Also discovered pixellation on VOD on my main TV this morning (the only thing more annoying that Yo Gabba Gabba, is watching it while the picture keeps breaking up). It was fine last night, but not this morning. Reset the router, and the problem disappeared.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by JPL:

Yep - good advice. Had the same issue with 2 HD channels a while back. They were the only 2 to pixellate, but because they were only breaking up on one TV, I knew it couldn't be the ONT. I checked the connections behind the TV - cable to splitter, and from the splitter to my DVR and my router. Sure enough, the coax connection going into the splitter was barely loose. Hand tightened it and the problem went away.

Also discovered pixellation on VOD on my main TV this morning (the only thing more annoying that Yo Gabba Gabba, is watching it while the picture keeps breaking up). It was fine last night, but not this morning. Reset the router, and the problem disappeared.

I've mentioned this before, but the reason only a few certain channels can be impacted by loose or corroded connections (or bad splitter for that matter) is because of the frequencies of the QAM channels on which they reside. It's a physics thing.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Yep, that's true. I've certainly seen that before.