dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jk111
join:2013-01-27

jk111 to Vamp

to Vamp

Re: [Northeast] High pings / bad routing...

Click for full size
5:47 PM today, same issues. Here's a traceroute to google

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Nothing wrong in the trace router to Google except to show the Google peering point in nyc is a choke point ( Googles issue, not Verizon )

And using an Non-Verizon DNS will hammer routing as it bypasses Verizon's preferred routing
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

This happens (and was predicted on this forum here when Verizon first announced their "Quantum" tiers) any time Verizon ups the FiOS network speeds. Their backbone capacity is never up to par for the FiOS speed upgrades and it takes them 4 to 6 months to fix all their capacity and peering issues.
jk111

jk111 to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
I don't know how you can say it's not a Verizon issue. Earlier traceroutes I've posted show timeouts at verizon peering points, as well as alter peering points, and alter (MCI) is owned by Verizon now. This is a Verizon issue.
Expand your moderator at work
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to jk111

to jk111

Re: [Northeast] High pings / bad routing...

I found this email, maybe try shooting them an email with all your traceroutes, and see what course of action they can take or what direction they point you in. This is more for the folks with latency and time outs to TINET's 'tinet-gw.customer' peering point

peering@tinet.net.--

»drpeering.net/workshops/ ··· uses.pdf

This looks like an SLA for Peering points between several providers including verizon and TINET

It also shows verizon is using OC192's which is just a MAMMOTH connection.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to jk111

Premium Member

to jk111
said by jk111:

I don't know how you can say it's not a Verizon issue. Earlier traceroutes I've posted show timeouts at verizon peering points, as well as alter peering points, and alter (MCI) is owned by Verizon now. This is a Verizon issue.

I've tried to explain you can't use ping for diagnostics, no one listens
I've tried to explain peering, people don't get it

Verizon isn't the issue, its the paths outside of the network which continually show up at the peering points, meaning your going from Verizons network, which is vastly larger in capacity to any other network ( in capacity ) in the US, to smaller networks, that can't handle the traffic

YouTube/Google is all messed up with the volume of traffic they don't have the peering to support the requests, HD support only makes things worse

Gaming sites are low budget and are constantly getting hosed by over subscription

The bottom line is, the internet has now matches our highway system for performance, when everyone get on it, there are area's that get traffic jams

There are intermittent times within Verizon do have slowdowns, usually a failed router or router table opps maybe a fiber line got cut, but almost all the time it's out Verizon's network.

The issue isn't Verizon, its the expectation that you can get low latency connections to anywhere, anytime .. that is gone forever, well until they implement for pay QOS, so your "important" traffic get priority for a hefty fee .. coming to a bill near you sometime this decade.

If you still believe I'm wrong, I encourage you to switch to you favorite alternative internet provider .. you then will realize its a much bigger issue then Verizon
jk111

jk111

I have a Comcast connection as well and never experience the issues im having with Verizon, specifically horrible Youtube streaming. And yes, I check at the same time during the day.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
Hulk Smash!!!!
While guppy_fish may be dealing with some anger issues right now, I do agree with some of his statements.

Xtreme2damax, you were complaining about TW a while back on the same issue. What are you expecting?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to jk111

Premium Member

to jk111
Less traffic on Comcast -to- Google peering, mostly due to much lower average last mile connections speeds

Verizon users, now with the slowest tier of 50mbs can suck the Google peering point dry ...
guppy_fish

guppy_fish to Mahalo

Premium Member

to Mahalo
said by Mahalo:

Hulk Smash!!!!
While guppy_fish may be dealing with some anger issues right now

No anger here , I'll just keep posting facts, maybe one day someone will listen
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to Mahalo

to Mahalo
My complaints with Time Warner were due to having around 30ms - 50ms pings to a local server, that was the only issue. With Fios as long as there are no ping spikes my ping is half of what I was getting with Time Warner. My issue with Time Warner was not ping spikes, nothing like what I am currently experiencing with Fios. I am getting lag spikes so severe with Fios that my ping will shoot up to 75ms - 100ms+ and stay there for a while, lag spikes that completely freeze me ingame when they occur. Makes gaming online frustrating, when my ping decides to spike I usually decide to wait until the next day to play, making sure I get online earlier in the day.

Mahalo
united state

Mahalo

So Ken I., if I was VZ I would I wouldnt do anything either. To me you have not built a case about the issue. Put the emulation game stuff down for a bit and really research it to understand it and build your case. Yelling Fix It wont get it done.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· RSL4wpcY
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Do I know you from somewhere? Just asking since you posted my name and the initial of my last name. Then again probably not since I nearly forgot my website is in my signature and my whois details are in view for the whole world to see.

I would contact Verizon if I didn't feel it was such a waste and would actually lead to a solution. Plus it's hard for me to get on the phone since I have symptoms of autism which makes it hard for me to verbalize, have productive conversations and socialize in general. The prime reason why I never ever use voice chat in game. If contacting Verizon online was sufficient enough I'd go that route since I have no issues expressing anything in text form.

Mahalo
united state

Mahalo

Just doing recon, sir. Right now I know more about you than your issue.
I am just asking that you do some research, understand it, and adjust if needed. I provided you a starting point a few comments back and you have not posted anything back since regarding your issue. Do your research, provide your facts, and we maybe able to help you out.
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

Just noticed my problematic second hop just changed in my traceroutes. Now I get 3-4ms not 8ms to the second hop/most going forward. Lets see what this means tonight and going forward....
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to Mahalo

to Mahalo
Can you please be a bit less vague? Earlier in the thread I did provide numerous trace routes, ping test and speed test results. So what do I need to provide to Verizon for them to look into and fix this issue? I understand the lag spikes are due to congestion either through some peering provider or the Verizon routers. It's still unacceptable regardless and should be resolved. It's been a month this issue has been ongoing, other folks here have reported the issue to Verizon and still nothing is being done about it. I've been trying to get a route that isn't congested or less congested but every new route so far exhibits the same issues or similar issues.

Gaming is a hobby I do in my free time and is not my life. I live a very stressful life and gaming is my release at the end of the day.