Search similar:

uniqs

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis

Premium Member

dead space 3 - game of the year already

For those who have played... How about that prologue? WOW!

I feel this game has/will set a new standard.

I wish it was 2 player off line.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos

Premium Member

Eh, it's alright. More of the same.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis

Premium Member

Aw really!?

Maybe it was all intense for me cause I was high.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to monchis

MVM

to monchis
I am not saying this is the game of the year, but it is very good. The first Dead Space really did set the stage. The second one was also very good but lost a little of that fear factor of the first one. The third one isn't scaring me much but it is still very good.

Worth the purchase overall though. I just am not convinced it is a game of the year candidate.

Draper
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19
Florissant, MO

Draper

Premium Member

I finished my first play through Monday afternoon. I agree it was good, but definitely not game of the year.

I also agree with Silvanos, it is more of the same. A few tweaks but overall it's very similar to the other games, not to say that is a bad thing. Way less scary.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

1 recommendation

Chaplain to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
I've enjoyed it very much so far. Gonna buy a three month live pass so I can play co-op with a friend. For me:

Dead Space: Survival Horror (I came close to running out of ammo and health many times) with a frightening and claustrophobic atmosphere. I waited for something to jump out at every corner, and the less frequency of the scares made each one priceless. Best of the series, IMO.

Dead Space 2: Unbelievable opening gameplay, and more action oriented. Still had scares, and still had slight ammo issues, but mainly concerned with having the right ammo for the right weapon. Going back to the USG Ishimura was very scary, as it brought back the original game's claustrophobia and jumpiness.

Dead Space 3: A bit watered down, and very action oriented. It followed the same general Dead Space formula, but adding COD and MW elements disappointed me. I know it gets more sales to those who never played the previous games, but I'd prefer the scares, atmosphere, and tense concern over ammo. Now you have more ammo than you'd ever need. I still love the game, though. It's saving graces are it's length (long game, lots to explore), spacewalk, co-op (still haven't tried), and gun smithing. I am a bit OCD, so I can spend tons of time on the bench just fucking around with guns. It's part of the fun of the total game for me, at this point.

Survival Horror is no longer a big selling concept, as most gamers want firepower and dominance over hordes of enemies as opposed to running away from enemies to conserve ammo and health. I always enjoyed games like RE where you go into a room, see a zombie, panic, run, bump into the door, fire and miss, bump into the door again, get bit, and run back out (paraphrased from someone who I remember writing about the original RE). Really gets your adrenaline pumping, and the thinking ahead in order to have enough ammo and health to get through the game makes each encounter a big thing, and not just something else to fire endless bullets through.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

footballdude

Premium Member

said by Chaplain:

Dead Space: Survival Horror (I came close to running out of ammo and health many times) with a frightening and claustrophobic atmosphere. I waited for something to jump out at every corner, and the less frequency of the scares made each one priceless. Best of the series, IMO.

Dead Space 2: Unbelievable opening gameplay, and more action oriented. Still had scares, and still had slight ammo issues, but mainly concerned with having the right ammo for the right weapon. Going back to the USG Ishimura was very scary, as it brought back the original game's claustrophobia and jumpiness.

If I was to write a review of those two games I think it would look almost exactly like what you just wrote. Spot on.

I haven't played the third yet, because I'm a cheap bastard and I'll wait until it's five dollars on Steam. That's all I paid for the first two.

I totally agree on the opening sequence of DS2. Especially the part where you meet the doctor with the big knife.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by footballdude:

said by Chaplain:

If I was to write a review of those two games I think it would look almost exactly like what you just wrote. Spot on.

I haven't played the third yet, because I'm a cheap bastard and I'll wait until it's five dollars on Steam. That's all I paid for the first two.

I totally agree on the opening sequence of DS2. Especially the part where you meet the doctor with the big knife.

I also agree. I am replaying the first two Dead Space games right now just to get a blast from the past so to speak. Then I will play DS3 from where I left off.

Overall, as I said before, DS3 is a solid entry. Not GOTY but solid.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
I was really hoping DS3 would be more of a survival horror style game. Not an action shooter with some monsters thrown in.

I'll wait until it's on sale.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to monchis

MVM

to monchis
I liked DS1 and got DS2 on sale. Had to stop due to video card issues. I have tried to get back into it again and having issues. I am getting tired of playing a section 3 times because I can't see were the monster comes out that always kills me. I got past this area once before and did not have a save point to save and went back...

Draper
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19
Florissant, MO

Draper to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
I started a New Game+ on impossible difficulty. So far enemies are not harder to kill, but Isaac is. You have a heightened sense of urgency knowing that it takes far fewer hits to kill you. I have that edge of my seat feeling that the first game gave me.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Draper:

I started a New Game+ on impossible difficulty. So far enemies are not harder to kill, but Isaac is. You have a heightened sense of urgency knowing that it takes far fewer hits to kill you. I have that edge of my seat feeling that the first game gave me.

The thing I didn't like about impossible in the last couple games was that they didn't give you as much ammo. That really pissed me off. Even being ultra careful and accurate with your shots wasn't enough. I would run out of ammo routinely. I love the idea of making Isaac more fragile at higher difficulties but keeping the amount of ammo the same.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I am getting tired of playing a section 3 times because I can't see were the monster comes out that always kills me. I got past this area once before and did not have a save point to save and went back...

Is this the part near the beginning of DS2 where you enter a kind of exam room and once you pass a certain point, a monster comes and insta-kills you? If it is, you have to hack the terminal first, then stasis kill the monster before it kills you.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

No - it was the area before the tram are - not the platform of the tram but the room before it.

I got past it last night - last monster either appeared in a different area or I filled it unknowingly...

The other issue I have is a do a lousy job being accurate and thinking of which weapon to use. The area with the store AFTER the tram wrecks - I had the 'babies' - and I did not use the line gun even though that would have been perfect time to use it.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Remember, those things go down in one or two hits. It's the swarm of them that gets you. Even a plasma pistol, with its high rate of fire, can be beneficial against them. I can see the idea behind the line gun, but it has a slow rate of fire, and if you miss a few they are on you while you're either lining up another shot, or god forbid, reloading. DS2 is a blast. It can get frustrating when things come at you from all sides. I still sometimes panic and can't aim for shit regardless what weapon I'm using. That's all part of the fun, IMO.

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

The other issue I have is a do a lousy job being accurate and thinking of which weapon to use.

I played the whole game with the default gun, the Ripper, and military machine gun. I used the default gun for nearly everything, pulling out the Ripper for enemies that rushed me and using the machine gun on boss encounters. Worked great.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Yep, upgraded Ripper and Plasma was all I needed.

The Ripper alone is devastating.

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

The Ripper alone is devastating.

Couldn't help but have flashbacks to the chainsaw in Doom, mowing down the pig demons.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
If anyone's interested, it's on sale today on Amazon for $39.99.

»www.amazon.com/gp/featur ··· i=507846

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

That makes me so mad. If I only waited one more week. Oh well.

Co-op is a lot of fun. Been playing with a friend. Telekinesis lends many laughs.

monchis
Premium Member

monchis

Premium Member

Damn good deal !!

I wonder if mgs rising with go on sale after a week....

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to Ghastlyone

MVM

to Ghastlyone
I can't seem to aim the damn thing - I am using the Plasma and Line.
CylonRed

CylonRed

MVM

Now that I am the Ishumura again - I have to use the ripper. When taking the open lift I am now running out of ammo. I am going to need to use the ripper to take off a leg and then stomp them. I am finding I don't have enough time to collect items between waves.