how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

newbie101

@charter.com
reply to msmisfit

Re: which brand of modem to buy for charter internet

thank you again for your help....glad your router is working fine.

I got the NG3700, now I am losing wireless signal..I only have this almost 2 yrs....bummer..need to buy another one.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

Maybe your router will work with a 3.0 modem?

Have you checked in the Netgear forums for an answer to your signal losses on the 3700?

anon guy

@charter.com

I have a Netgear 3400 and it works with the SB6121 just fine so I would assume the 3700 shouldn't be an issue.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

That's what I was thinking since the 6121 works with mine, and there's not much difference in those 2 routers.

Hopefully a change in modems will fix the OP up.

RonSMeyer

join:2000-05-12
Saint Louis, MO
reply to msmisfit

I had an NG 3700 that lost wireless after 2 years as well. I'm thinking that's about all they're worth. I have an NG R6300 at the moment and I'm very happy with it. But if it only lasts two years it will be my last Netgear router. My modem is SB6121 which so has worked terrifically. I own the modem, it was not supplied by Charter.

anon guy

@charter.com

said by RonSMeyer:

I had an NG 3700 that lost wireless after 2 years as well. I'm thinking that's about all they're worth.

Oh don't say that my NG 3400 just passed the 2 year mark just 2 days ago.

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
reply to RonSMeyer

My experience recently with Charter is that they will not allow a customer to keep their own modem if you decide to change your service plan with them. I had a Motroloa 6120 that I owned for the last 2 years. I was told that I had to use a Charter provisioned modem when I cancelled my TV service. I got stuck with a not so amazing Cisco DPC3008. So I can't speak for everyone but it appears in my area you can't keep your own modem. It sounds like they will however let you provision a new one based on the posts I have read here. Pretty weird how this varies from customer to customer.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA
reply to RonSMeyer

said by RonSMeyer:

I had an NG 3700 that lost wireless after 2 years as well. I'm thinking that's about all they're worth.

I'm sorry to hear this, and feel as you do, if my present NG 3800 router doesn't last but 2 yrs., I'll be switching brands again.

My faithful old Linksys WRT 54G lasted six years, and was still working fine, just wouldn't get the speeds I was paying for after buying a Moto SB 6121. I sure got my $50 out of that router.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to anon guy

My linksys modem (CM100 I think) has been more reliable than any motorola I've ever had.

mikiee

join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Ryan818

This week I was thinking of dropping my basic TV because it's going up $10 a month in March and I don't really use the TV part of cable that much. Are you saying that I will have to give up my own modem if I cancel the TV? Will I be charged for their modem? I am currently on the second year of a price guarantee for internet. ($34.99 month for 15/3 service)