spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevefoobar

join:2005-09-27
Chicago, IL

Pandora Keeps Playing With Router Turned Off!?

I consider myself very technical and with pretty good knowledge of networking and routers, but I was baffled today. I was doing some testing and had a Firefox browser open with Pandora playing some music. I decided to reboot my router and much to my amazement, after pulling the power plug on the router, Pandora kept playing music as if nothing happened! It went on to play the entire 6 minute song then stopped when it attempted to go to the next song in the play list.

I must admit I don't understand this. Even if it has something to do with a networking protocol I don't understand, the router is still needed for the physical (Ethernet wire) connections from my PC to the router and then ultimately through the cable modem to the internet. Of course, I did NOT turn off the cable modem--just the router.

Any ideas? I'm very curious.

I doubt it matters but the modem is a Zoom 5341 Cable Modem, the router a Linksys WRT160N V3 Wireless Router (stock firmware) running WinXP Pro SP3 and as I mentioned, the PC is connected via cable to the router.

Thanks!
--
Steve - Chicago, IL USA

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO

It probably buffered that much play time.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

said by Ken1943:

It probably buffered that much play time.

This.

Pandora buffers the song, and that buffer was stored in your memory.

stevefoobar

join:2005-09-27
Chicago, IL
reply to stevefoobar

I considered that but it seemed like several minutes was a long time to buffer but others have suggested the same thing on other forums and that certainly is the most logical explanation. I guess now I know why Pandora plays so smoothly and never glitches!
--
Steve - Chicago, IL USA

mark42

join:2006-02-07
Blairstown, NJ
reply to stevefoobar

The WDTVLIVEPLUS does the same thing playing music off the server. Music doesn't take much bandwidth, and the players just buffer up a lot of it.