Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

[Internet] Ping time

I was wondering what is your ping time, and how or where do you test it at?
I have tried pingtest.net, and the lowest i got is 39ms.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:159
Don't waste your time with that. Thats one place, one server, one side of one path and will have nothing to do with anything you will do on the net...fancy eye candy and not worth much more than that.

GeNomer

join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN
reply to 47717768
Ping is the time it takes a packet of data to go from your computer to the destination and back. Yours is 39 milliseconds, which is good. Probably is best to use windows command prompt, because then you can test to different websites or servers.

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert
I know what ping is. The reason why i have asked is, because some people get it as slow as 26ms. or even lower. Can you guys post your results?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by 47717768:

I know what ping is. The reason why i have asked is, because some people get it as slow as 26ms. or even lower. Can you guys post your results?

I don't use the 'pingtest.net' site for the reason stated by, BHNtechXpert See Profile. Services which are sensitive to "png time" often have a client tool to check; otherwise pinging the actual server from a command prompt is most accurate. With one caveat: If everybody and their brother pings a given site at one time, it can cause the site a ping flood issue.

Unless you are having a specific problem, knowing your latency ("ping time") isn't really necessary.

I have seen less than 1 ms posted by folks with FTTP. I used to get 10 ms to 11 ms with ADSL on FastPath. I have seen 9 ms to 13 ms posted by cable users. I currently see 24 ms to 26 ms with ADSL2+ and the Interleaved path. These are first hop latencies, or pinging the first responsive router past the CPR.

If you do run ping tests, make sure there is no other Internet activity because it can affect you latency.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
You don’t need an overrated fiber connection to achieve stunning pings on these tests. For quite a while I was hitting 0 with Speedtest.net. Yes, I know a true ping of 0 is impossible, but from what I understand they round. So a ping of .49ms or under would register as a 0 on the final result.

--
Dale Jr, Riding Daddys Coattails Since February 18, 2001!