La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna

Premium Member

[Help] Thinking of trying to crunch again....

....my possible conundrum is that I only have a laptop available to me at this time. It is the machine I use everyday. I have been doing a little research and am seeing that this is a potential problem, ie, crunching *can* put major stress on a laptop (mostly heat related it seems), thus potentially causing an early demise of the HD, etc. Having said that, most of info seems to be at least 3-4 years old, not really up to date.

What is the opinion of everyone here regarding this? Do you think I should give it a try? These are my basic system specs:

Asus G72GX
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
Q9000 @2.00Ghz
RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium

If you all think it isn't a good idea, I won't do it. I don't want to lose my only working machine. I still have my custom built XP Pro box, but don't currently have a monitor for it.

Thanks for your help!

basher99
Premium Member
join:2004-02-26
Pekin, IL

2 recommendations

basher99

Premium Member

If you do use a lappy for crunching I would highly suggest a cooler for it

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· e=Cooler

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 recommendation

lilhurricane to La Luna

Numquam oblita

to La Luna
I have 2 lappy's myself, Ms Moon

1 MBP Dualie and 1 six yr old Acer - both have a cooling pad beneath
They are on 24/7/365...and only the Acer was revamped 2 yrs ago to XP (mostly cause I hated Vista)

Neither one of my hd's have ever needed replacement once turned to crunchers.
That being said - there are apps for fan control and the availability in preferences is still there to throttle - or increase/decrease a few different functions

It's still a smart app, it will back off as your resources are used by other things.
I'd say it's personal preference (as is most all else)

Try it..ask us for help w/ configuring if you need it...and if it's not working out - don't run it.

The system requirements for each of our cancer projects are in the FAQ too - so review.

You do look (with what you posted) - like you have even more than what I do in terms of specs..should be ok - leave the monitor open & use the lappy config to turn off the monitor after inactivity

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Thanks for the help!! Will look into getting a cooler pad.

I've already downloaded BOINC, but didn't install it yet as I wanted to hear what the experts here had to say. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Not to sound totally helpless, but does anyone recommend a specific cooler pad? This is a big laptop, 17" screen. There's so many choices.....

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

1 recommendation

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

I'd recommend that coolermaster with the configurable fans. It's what I'm using under my MBP. You can move the fans under the hot spots, and they blow air from below. Also be sure you blow out the lappy frequently.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Thanks. That's not a bad price either.

glennaxl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-16
Zion

glennaxl to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
After running your lappy for 2yrs, i would suggest opening it and re-apply some thermal compound as the effectiveness of it will go down over time.