uniqs
foresto
join:2002-04-17
USA

foresto to Jonathan987

to Jonathan987

Re: [Voip.ms] SMS support?

I'd like to be able to:

- Give out my VoIP numbers without having to explain that they're incapable of receiving SMS (and without worrying that someone will forget).
- Forward calls and SMS to the same destination.
- Make SMS work with ring groups.
- Send/receive SMS from my computer's desktop when I'm sitting in front of it, since it's much easier than typing on a cell phone.
- Send/receive SMS via an API, so I can use it for remote automation and monitoring.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

1 edit

MartinM

Premium Member

said by foresto:

I'd like to be able to:

- Give out my VoIP numbers without having to explain that they're incapable of receiving SMS (and without worrying that someone will forget).
- Forward calls and SMS to the same destination.
- Make SMS work with ring groups.
- Send/receive SMS from my computer's desktop when I'm sitting in front of it, since it's much easier than typing on a cell phone.
- Send/receive SMS via an API, so I can use it for remote automation and monitoring.

Foresto, thanks for your contribution. I've forwarded this info to our development team. Regards.
Jonathan987
join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

Jonathan987

Foresto, many thanks for your suggestions they are good ones.

MartinM I'm sorry that things in this thread went sour. Please just disregard him so we can have constructive brainstorming; the rest of us voip.ms customers really appreciate your open conversation.

I know that there about 4 people in my family that are looking forward to this feature in addition to a couple of friends. Any chance it could be put higher in the development roadmap?

Many thanks as usual,
Jonathan
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

MartinM

Premium Member

said by Jonathan987:

Foresto, many thanks for your suggestions they are good ones.

MartinM I'm sorry that things in this thread went sour. Please just disregard him so we can have constructive brainstorming; the rest of us voip.ms customers really appreciate your open conversation.

I know that there about 4 people in my family that are looking forward to this feature in addition to a couple of friends. Any chance it could be put higher in the development roadmap?

Many thanks as usual,
Jonathan

Sorry I jumped the gun but mentions of "my favorite provider is better than yours" if become old, in a forum that is supposed to promote VoIP usage intead of commercial perception and preference.

Anyway, here's the current position with VoIP.ms:

Our main Canadian provider is open to test SMS with us. Our main US provider is alrady supporting it, but we still have to determine a way to interfact between the two of us. International Numbers are impossible.

SMS Support sits in the top tier of our requested features, and we want to release it. We are studying in which way people are going to use it to find the best way for implementation. We have no ETA and it's not to be released in the first quarter of 2013. We're in early testing phases.
Jonathan987
join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

Jonathan987

I'm very glad to hear all of this and will pass on the news to everyone. I'm sure you'll need beta testers and I'll be happy to help out with beta testing as mentioned earlier in the thread Feel free to send me a pm when it's gotten that far!

Have a good one,
Jonathan
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member

1 edit

1 recommendation

MartinM

Premium Member

We already have stuff in beta if you and others in this forums are interested in. Just send in your ID and we'll had you to beta testers.
foresto
join:2002-04-17
USA

1 edit

foresto

said by foresto:

I should probably clarify that, for desktop use, I would consider email a last resort SMS delivery mechanism. Something suited to interactive conversations would be better; perhaps a jabber (XMPP) gateway so I could use an instant messaging client.
said by MartinM:

Foresto, thanks for your contribution.

You're welcome! Thanks for asking.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to MartinM

Premium Member

to MartinM
I have to add my voice in support of SMS on Voip.ms. Having SMS is one of the main reason I still keep one of my cell phones. If Voip.ms supported SMS I would be able to consolidate all calls through one cell phone.
potato6
join:2012-12-13

potato6 to foresto

to foresto
said by foresto:

I should probably clarify that, for desktop use, I would consider email a last resort SMS delivery mechanism. Something suited to interactive conversations would be better; perhaps a jabber (XMPP) gateway so I could use an instant messaging client.

I was just going to post this suggestion. I've already added "Conv. input chars count" plugin to pidgin to keep an eye on that 140 char limit. XMPP SMS integration would certainly be a winner be a winner in my book.

Of course, some sort of sms notification when you are 'Extended Away' or 'Offline' would need to be implemented too. SMS forward to cell or SMS to email if XMPP presence is anything other than 'Available' or 'Away'. Email would be my preference since I am considering moving to an all data plan (MiFi).