Search similar:

uniqs

NJxxxJon
2 0 1 7 Mmm Here We go man!
Premium Member
join:2005-10-22

NJxxxJon

Premium Member

[Help] Got a ticket for ALL 3 TAIL LIGHTS staying on.

Help! Great message board!

1.) Only happens when I turn my lights on. (at day when I hit the breaks everythings fine.

2.) I Have an AFTERMARKET auto-starter out of warranty put in.
3.) Can NOT use cruise control with lights on either.
4.) I do have an after market radio in.

06 Sentra with NON working Audiovox starter for winter. I have googled this shindig as well.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag

I believe you must mean *brake lights* are staying on.

First thing that comes to my mind is a defective bulb, second would be a bad socket, third is wiring problem. Tail light circuit when energized is feeding over into brake light circuit. Cruise would be inop since it is seeing current on brake light circuit.

Virtually impossible to determine exact issue without seeing it of course.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to NJxxxJon

MVM

to NJxxxJon
Did the lights (and/or cruise control) ever work since the starter was put in or stopped working?

NJxxxJon
Premium Member

NJxxxJon to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
Hey YOU AGAIN! YESSSSS! haha.

2 months ~ ago I replaced a break light bulb that burned out. If that matters.

My cruise control worked ~ 5 months ago. '

Thanks!

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

said by NJxxxJon:

2 months ~ ago I replaced a break light bulb that burned out. If that matters.

Yep, if you replaced a dual element bulb with a single element. You'd then be shorting out the brake lights with the parking lights. Check to make sure you have the correct bulbs, because i'll bet you don't.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Jahntassa:

if you replaced a dual element bulb with a single element. You'd then be shorting out the brake lights with the parking lights. Check to make sure you have the correct bulbs, because i'll bet you don't.

You would really have to break guide pins on the single filament bulb base or destroy the dual filament base/socket to force in place the 1156 bulb (SC, SF, SP) into a socket made for the 1157 bulb (DC, DF, OP) as they are very different base designs.

Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Don't know about the OP's Sentra, but my Hondas use an entirely different type of bulb. The bottom is a glass tab, and wire contacts wrap around the bottom.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

Don't know about the OP's Sentra, but my Hondas use an entirely different type of bulb. The bottom is a glass tab, and wire contacts wrap around the bottom.

Only on the high mounted light. Sentra uses the other type on the lower stop lights like Dr Olds showed.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to NJxxxJon

to NJxxxJon
said by NJxxxJon:

I replaced a break light bulb

It's a brake light, please.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Doctor Olds

MVM

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

You would really have to break guide pins on the single filament bulb base or destroy the dual filament base/socket to force in place the 1156 bulb (SC, SF, SP) into a socket made for the 1157 bulb (DC, DF, OP) as they are very different base designs.

I have seen it done many times.

NJxxxJon
Premium Member

NJxxxJon

Premium Member

I HIGHLY doubt this is a bulb issue.
The amount of wires under my sterring wheel is nuts!

pmohr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

pmohr

Premium Member

said by NJxxxJon:

When you hit the brakes, does the dash illumination turn on?
Check when it's dark with the lights off, it's possible it is doing it and you just haven't noticed.

NJxxxJon
Premium Member

NJxxxJon

Premium Member

said by pmohr:

said by NJxxxJon:

Check when it's dark with the lights off, it's possible it is doing it and you just haven't noticed.

Would this help me find my problem??? This sounds scary....haha

pmohr
Premium Member
Maryville, TN

pmohr

Premium Member

If it's a bulb shorted, your dash lights will come on with the brake lights on, as both circuits are now common.

It won't do anything if there's a reverse current protection diode in the parking lights circuit, but I've yet to see one that does.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to NJxxxJon

Premium Member

to NJxxxJon
Bad switch at the brake pedal? This will cause the brake lights to stay on and make the cruise control inoperable.

NJxxxJon
Premium Member

NJxxxJon

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Bad switch at the brake pedal? This will cause the brake lights to stay on and make the cruise control inoperable.

I just got done on 2 old dodge cars with this problem....but my new-er sentra????? Ill look under MR pedal later on I guess.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Nope. His problem is the brake lights stay on only when the regular lights are on:
quote:
Only happens when I turn my lights on. (at day when I hit the brakes everything's fine.

CCTVTech
Premium Member
join:2003-04-23
Phoenix, AZ

CCTVTech to NJxxxJon

Premium Member

to NJxxxJon
I had the same kind problem with a work van, it was a bad ground on one of the tail light sockets. The power was back feeding into the other positive leg causing both tail and brakes to be lit up.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to NJxxxJon

Premium Member

to NJxxxJon
years ago I had a honda civic and came out from an 8 hour shift to find my brake lights had been on the entire time. What I found out there is a plastic piece that broke off that is underneath the dash. when you let off the brake pedal the whole arm thing that the brake pedal is on comes up and touches this plastic thing, or makes contact that turns off the brake light.

maybe check something like this out?

NJxxxJon
Premium Member

NJxxxJon to CCTVTech

Premium Member

to CCTVTech
said by CCTVTech:

I had the same kind problem with a work van, it was a bad ground on one of the tail light sockets. The power was back feeding into the other positive leg causing both tail and brakes to be lit up.

I have one cheap mutilmeter and no paitence. I will check behind my tail-lights tonight too I guess.
NJxxxJon

NJxxxJon to pmohr

Premium Member

to pmohr
said by pmohr:

said by NJxxxJon:

10:25 UPDATE! Went out into my work parking lot and YES! THE DASH LIGHTS UP and the BEEP LIKE the key is in the IGNITION! WHAT THE HECK????

pmohr
Premium Member
Maryville, TN

pmohr

Premium Member

said by NJxxxJon:

said by pmohr:

said by NJxxxJon:

10:25 UPDATE! Went out into my work parking lot and YES! THE DASH LIGHTS UP and the BEEP LIKE the key is in the IGNITION! WHAT THE HECK????

Pull out that bulb you installed and recheck.

shdesigns