uniqs

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

New monitor advice.

I'm doing a couple cheap updates to get some more gaming life out of my ageing system. I just picked up a radeon HD7750 and now looking for a monitor upgrade. As of now it runs anything and everything I've thrown at it without a hiccup. My only concern is my current lcd is an older lg 4:3 19" native 1280x1024. Jumping to 21"+ could adversely affect performance in games because of the native resolution it would need to run at. The next issue is to go with an IPS display or LCD. The demo IPS displays I have seen have been so horribly hacked together with kvm switches and spliters at the brick and mortar stores it's impossible to compare one another. I've been looking at this. The price seems right, I'm just not sure.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Is that the high end of your budget?

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

I would like to keep it under $200.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
The higher the resolution the lower the fps so you might need to turn down details a little bit. Considering 1920x1080 is a larger resolution then you'll need to adjust accordingly, or use a lower resolution if necessary.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
I have been running this Hanns-G monitor »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24254048 for over two years with nothing but praise for it's performance and value. It was $210 shipped back then which was awesome cheap and it is still running like a champ. Office work, IT workstation, Gaming (BF3)... I would buy it again.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to chmod

to chmod
chmod I bought the »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24005393 »www.overstock.com/Electr ··· uct.html »www.amazon.com/LG-EW224T ··· 05FNH9RE »www.kokeytechnology.com/ ··· 7wtg-pf/ LG EW224 22" LED LCD 1920x1080p/60Hz from Walmart for somewhere around $145 to $150 witch they no longer sell. Works great for my custom iBUYPOWER custom built desktop for DVD, Blu-ray, high graphic gaming, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, and so forth.
jk35
Jay Kirchhoff
join:2012-01-08
San Jose, CA

jk35 to chmod

to chmod
An IPS monitor would not be my first chose for gaming.

PROS: Wide viewing angle without darkening
Brighter more accurate colors. They are great for
viewing static images requiring color accuracy,
like photo editing.

CONS: slower response times, resulting in motion blur
Not so good for gaming or video.

Dell makes some really nice IPS monitors like the one you’re looking at,
but its gray-to-gray response time of about 7ms is to slow.

A good gaming monitor should have a gray-to-gray response time of about 2ms.
Asus makes some good ones, »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24236117.

I'm currently using an Asus 27", »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24236103
With a little tweaking it produces a very good and astonishingly bright picture.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

I've used various IPS and VA monitors and TVs for gaming, they work fine. Input lag is more of a problem, and that's not limited to any particular type of panel.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
I recently purchased a Dell U2412M. »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20u2412m It is a fantastic monitor and works perfectly fine for gaming. I see no ghosting at all. Best ips monitor out bang for the buck wise. They also have a excellent 3 year no hassle bs warranty.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to jk35

Premium Member

to jk35
said by jk35:

An IPS monitor would not be my first chose for gaming.

PROS: Wide viewing angle without darkening
Brighter more accurate colors. They are great for
viewing static images requiring color accuracy,
like photo editing.

CONS: slower response times, resulting in motion blur
Not so good for gaming or video.

Dell makes some really nice IPS monitors like the one you’re looking at,
but its gray-to-gray response time of about 7ms is to slow.

A good gaming monitor should have a gray-to-gray response time of about 2ms.
Asus makes some good ones, »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24236117.

I'm currently using an Asus 27", »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24236103
With a little tweaking it produces a very good and astonishingly bright picture.

I use the Auria 27" IPS for gaming @ 1440p and have no complaints whatsoever.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

I recently purchased a Dell U2412M. »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20u2412m It is a fantastic monitor and works perfectly fine for gaming. I see no ghosting at all. Best ips monitor out bang for the buck wise. They also have a excellent 3 year no hassle bs warranty.

That's the monitor I've been looking at lately and that I think I'm going to pull the trigger on. It's got phenominal reviews. For ~315.00 bucks, it looks to be a great choice.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I got mine here »www.bestbuy.com/site/Del ··· p=1&lp=1 a few weeks ago. Still on sale for $296.99 free shipping. Cant beat that.
said by Ghastlyone:

said by KoRnGtL15:

That's the monitor I've been looking at lately and that I think I'm going to pull the trigger on. It's got phenominal reviews. For ~315.00 bucks, it looks to be a great choice.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

»www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS23 ··· title_ce

Thoughts?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to chmod

MVM

to chmod
How about these:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24014300

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24254093

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

The size scares me because I don't have a high end video card right now. I want to future proof myself on the monitor but I think that will cripple anything I can run right now.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

If you go 1080p. You will definitely need a new graphics card if you are a gamer.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to chmod

MVM

to chmod
said by chmod:

The size scares me because I don't have a high end video card right now. I want to future proof myself on the monitor but I think that will cripple anything I can run right now.

The physical size of the monitor has no effect or additional strain on the video subsystem and the resolution is the same as the ASUS VS239H-P 23" you were asking about earlier,....

So if you were considering the ASUS VS239H-P 23" then then I see no practical reason to have issue with the 27" monitors,...

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Yeah the size don't matter. Its the resolution he is moving up to that is a MAJOR problem if he games. A better card is needed or he will be extremely disappointed when trying to run games at 1080p with decent settings. OP should list systems specs for we can tell you if 1080p gaming is worth it on said system. You need a decent cpu and ram as well. Which we have no idea what they have.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

I guess that could be a problem. For some reason I thought the OP was running an HD 7770 rather then an HD 7750 and that does make a difference.

Still a monitor upgrade is only half an upgrade and likewise a video card upgrade is only half an upgrade.

The OP can either upgrade the video card to something that is overkill for the current monitor or the OP could upgrade the monitor and dial down the settings to something playable on the current video card.

Hard choice,......

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

Yeah the size don't matter. Its the resolution he is moving up to that is a MAJOR problem if he games. A better card is needed or he will be extremely disappointed when trying to run games at 1080p with decent settings. OP should list systems specs for we can tell you if 1080p gaming is worth it on said system. You need a decent cpu and ram as well. Which we have no idea what they have.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition @ 4ghz 3 cores
Gigabyte ma785gm-us2h
750gb WD Black Drive (main)
1tb seagate (data)
300gb seagate external firewire
4gb OCZ DDR2
MSI Radeon HD 7750 2gb

I picked up a 23" Acer 1920x1080 native resolution at a b&m store to test fps. It seems half way decent. For essentially $85ish more I can return said monitor/video card pick up another same spec acer new 650watt antec ps and a radeon hd 7850. I think I'm going to go that route.

computer rep
@journowlism.com

computer rep to chmod

Anon

to chmod
Offcourse, higher the resolution the lower the fps.Therefore you should htink about this and use a lower resolution.