uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

JohnQ1

join:2013-02-01
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to TypeS

Re: [Cable] Outage in London

I agree, not a simple task. Definitely not one to be rushed.

However, its clear redundant routes would have helped in this case. Not the mention the other side benefits. Lets see some more effort into underground fiber.

--
Teksavvy Customer, London

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to Freezerburn6

It's Rogers' network, nothing tek can do. I agree it's lame they only have one physical route for the tpia in London and maybe they might see the problem with it after this incident. More than likely Rogers doesn't put as much effort into the tpia side compared to their own customer network. If your income depends on a residential Internet connection with no guaranteed uptime then that's your own problem. If it's that important then make sure you have some redundancy your self or get a service with a SLA

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marty

It's kinda odd that nothing is being reported on this accident anywhere that I have looked (news for Hamilton, Woodstock, brantford twitter for OPP, Ontario roads etc). Do you have any details? Location of accident? Link to a site reporting on it with updates.

TSI Marty
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:5

I will see what I can find and when/if I can get the information Ill post the link or info in here for everyone.

londoner1

London, ON

Thanks

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mogglesb11

Some of us may be suffering from internet separation anxiety.

I propose TSI train their staff to provide emotional support during times of outages and provide 1:1 telephone support.

The issue of redundant connections is interesting. As pointed out this was a major cut it may have included the redundant line. I always imagined a redundant connection taking a totally different path. Not sort of bundled up with the primary.

In our own ways many of us have our own backup conections... whether 3G or that neighbour that always keeps their connection open.

Does this whole conversation about redundant lines become moot when TSI goes aggregate in a year?

walile

join:2013-02-10
reply to freezerburn

said by freezerburn :

I don't want to hear any more apologies or excuses. This is unacceptable.. I need to know yes or no if service will be restored by 8:30am Monday the 11th. Tell me yes or no and if the answer is anything but yes and you cannot guarantee service by then I will personally print off hundreds of QR code stickers referencing this thread so I can stick them on every teksavvy advertisement in the city so everyone can see how poor this isp is. A team was dispatched at 7:45 and this happened at 11:20 last night? That's a big WTF. This is pathetic.

Your anger is completely understandable. I am very angry at the situation as well though maybe for different reasons.

First of all, this is an accident. TekSavvy and Rogers don't want this to happen, but it did. At this point, nobody knows precisely when the service can be restored.

At this point, there are two issues to deal with once the service is restored. One, will TekSavvy compensate their customers for the outage? Keep in mind this is not the first extended service interruption in the London area in recent times.

If they tell me that I am SOL on getting credits for my service interruption. You bet that I will be switching to a different ISP.

Two, the provision for alternative routing in the future?

walile

reply to Doolz

said by Doolz :

It may not be life or death for you, however some of us make our living on our computers and without the Internet we are royally fucked. These constant outages are starting to get very, very annoying. A credit or something would be nice to compensate.

To be fair, if your work depends heavily on a working Internet connection. I would suggest having a plan B in place.

For my work, I am not allowed to use public WiFi, so Starbucks is not an option for me. Tethering to my LTE capable phone is unfortunately my only option for now. Can't imagine the data charge that I will face next month.
Expand your moderator at work

workman845

join:2011-09-22
reply to TypeS

Re: [Cable] Outage in London

Its actually above freezing haha my assumption would be replacing rather than repairing. Probably connections every few posts where you can connect too. Definitely agree that it should be last priority after an accident but as many have said there should be plans in place for issues like this. Tek Savvy has said themselves that Rogers lines were effected too but their customers have service.

graniterock

London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to walile

said by walile:

said by Doolz :

It may not be life or death for you, however some of us make our living on our computers and without the Internet we are royally fucked. These constant outages are starting to get very, very annoying. A credit or something would be nice to compensate.

To be fair, if your work depends heavily on a working Internet connection. I would suggest having a plan B in place.

For my work, I am not allowed to use public WiFi, so Starbucks is not an option for me. Tethering to my LTE capable phone is unfortunately my only option for now. Can't imagine the data charge that I will face next month.

Wind mobile provides a pay as you go $2 /hr max 5 bucks a day.

»www2.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/data-plans.aspx

They sell a portable hotspot for $50 and data sticks for between $40 and $80.

It could be a reasonable backup for those who need it.

There are a few on the board that subscribe to both DSL and cable. They would be a small minority but would be part of the crowd that feels that can't go without broadband when (not if) the next outage happens.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to workman845

said by workman845:

Its actually above freezing haha my assumption would be replacing rather than repairing. Probably connections every few posts where you can connect too.

Thats more or less what I was thinking of. I can't imagine it'd be feasible to actually repair fibre strands. So it depends on long a section of fibre actually needs replacing.

Rick2025

join:2012-03-25
St Thomas, ON
reply to evil_gusgus

St Thomas- same.

someone

@65.49.14.x
reply to evil_gusgus

An excellent option is to go with Speakout Wireless (7-11) with the "unlimited mobile browsing" option for $10. All I have to do is put my sim card in a cheap modem (I use the AT&T (Sierra Wireless) USB Connect Lightning), run the Sierra Wirless AirCard Watcher program, and load UltraSurf (with the proxy settings programmed in), and everything works at 3G speeds.

If you don't use UltraSurf, which creates a VPN, then all the images get compressed and look funny.

randomzero

join:2010-03-25
reply to evil_gusgus

I believe for those portable hot spot solutions, all the carriers (aside from the big 3) start throttling after a certain amount. I believe Wind is at 5gb.

graniterock

London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

said by randomzero:

I believe for those portable hot spot solutions, all the carriers (aside from the big 3) start throttling after a certain amount. I believe Wind is at 5gb.

I believe it's 5 GB for a cellphone and 10 GB for a data only device. I've heard mixed things about how aggressively they enforce the limits. (I've heard some people say they got throttled shortly after 5 GB... others have it 15-19 GB and the month rolled over with no throttle). Regardless it would certainly work well as an emergency back up for a day or two. (I'm using my cell phone connected into my router via usb to PC to ethernet bridge... have watched netflix and youtube videos on my TV, made voip calls) Definately not a replacement for broadband but it does work great in a pinch.

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to evil_gusgus

Here is the exact update I have just received:
Looks like they’ve spliced the fibers in one place, and there might be a cut in another. Fiber tech is headed to the Woodstock site to troubleshoot from there.

Still no ETR.
We're very sorry about the delay, we will do our best to keep you posted as to the progress in the fix.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

tedrampart

join:2011-12-13
London, ON
reply to evil_gusgus

just got connected. looks to be solved!

thanks

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to TSI Jon

Why wasn't the fiber tech there to begin with? Who fixed the original problem?

londoner1

London, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Jon

said by TSI Jon:

Here is the exact update I have just received:
Looks like they’ve spliced the fibers in one place, and there might be a cut in another. Fiber tech is headed to the Woodstock site to troubleshoot from there.

Still no ETR.
We're very sorry about the delay, we will do our best to keep you posted as to the progress in the fix.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan

Cable engineers can figure out the general neighborhood of the problem based on the reported phone or Internet service outages. From terminal stations on shore, they can zero in on more specific coordinates by sending light pulses along the fibers in the cable. A working fiber will transmit those pulses all the way across the ocean, but a broken one will bounce it back from the site of the damage. By measuring the time it takes for the reflections to come back, the engineers can figure out where along the cable they have a problem.

SO THEY ARE GUESSING. Am I to assume that some tech is walking the fiber run staring up at the telephone poles for something that looks amiss...

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to evil_gusgus

I'm back up

sequence

join:2012-11-09
reply to TSI Jon

Back up in London! A big truck destroying a bunch of fibre lines is pretty much the best possible excuse. Sorry for getting so whiney

sthuh1

join:2013-02-04
reply to Perma

also back up

morningstar

join:2007-02-15
London, ON
reply to evil_gusgus

Still no internet here....

mattb3

join:2013-02-09
London, ON
reply to evil_gusgus

im back up as well

mogglesb11

join:2013-02-02
reply to evil_gusgus

I'm back up.

walile

reply to morningstar

I am back up as well. Let's hope that it stays up.

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to mogglesb11

Thanks for the updates guys, we're still keeping an eye out.