how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to TSI Jonathan

Re: [Cable] Outage in London

Why wasn't the fiber tech there to begin with? Who fixed the original problem?

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Jonathan
said by TSI Jonathan:

Here is the exact update I have just received:
Looks like they’ve spliced the fibers in one place, and there might be a cut in another. Fiber tech is headed to the Woodstock site to troubleshoot from there.

Still no ETR.
We're very sorry about the delay, we will do our best to keep you posted as to the progress in the fix.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan

Cable engineers can figure out the general neighborhood of the problem based on the reported phone or Internet service outages. From terminal stations on shore, they can zero in on more specific coordinates by sending light pulses along the fibers in the cable. A working fiber will transmit those pulses all the way across the ocean, but a broken one will bounce it back from the site of the damage. By measuring the time it takes for the reflections to come back, the engineers can figure out where along the cable they have a problem.

SO THEY ARE GUESSING. Am I to assume that some tech is walking the fiber run staring up at the telephone poles for something that looks amiss...

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to evil_gusgus
I'm back up

sequence

join:2012-11-09
reply to TSI Jonathan
Back up in London! A big truck destroying a bunch of fibre lines is pretty much the best possible excuse. Sorry for getting so whiney

sthuh1

join:2013-02-04
reply to Perma
also back up

morningstar

join:2007-02-15
London, ON
reply to evil_gusgus
Still no internet here....

mattb3

join:2013-02-09
London, ON
reply to evil_gusgus
im back up as well

mogglesb11

join:2013-02-02
reply to evil_gusgus
I'm back up.

walile

join:2013-02-10
reply to morningstar
I am back up as well. Let's hope that it stays up.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to mogglesb11
Thanks for the updates guys, we're still keeping an eye out.

timx

join:2010-07-20
Dundas, ON
Never mind Internet is up

Thissucks22

@rogers.com
reply to evil_gusgus
Of course this would happen for the mid season premiere of The Walking Dead!!! I dont have cable and this is my only way to watch!! I just joined a few months ago and starting to hate them more and more.

koldfyre

@bell.ca
reply to evil_gusgus
Back up in Lambeth

Fervid

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Jonathan
Back up in London Northwest. 14:22-Feb-10

Wtbinternets

@teksavvy.com
reply to timx
What day will next week's all-day outage be so I can play my week around it in advance.

koldfyre

@teksavvy.com
reply to evil_gusgus
I'd like to point out two things. One, TekSavvy can hardly be held at fault for a person's poor driving, nor can they be held at fault for the sluggish service that Rogers has always provided when it comes to repairs or anything coming out of their pockets as opposed to in. And two, TekSavvy still leaves all the competition scrambling to catch up as far as quality of service and economic pricing. Keep up the good work TekSavvy. I'm glad you have things running for the people who will need it for the week of work. For the people whining about missed shows, god forbid you might have to wait a little longer to dl an episode of TWD or w/e else, even though this is probably the reason you switched from cable tv in the first place; so you don't have to abide by a television networks schedule...

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to evil_gusgus
After a modem reboot and a router release/renew I'm back up too.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Back up and running here in East London as well.

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to evil_gusgus
if anyone here would like to explore OLSR or some form of mesh networking kindly PM me....I looked into this a couple yrs back to establish some redundancy against outages like this. In my case I have a close neighbour on DSL (Bell)...so having some form of a dynamic mesh that would come up in the event of a failure on a link would alleviate the pain.

»wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/mesh.olsr

TSI Marty
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:5
reply to Wtbinternets
We have scheduled the next outage for the 2nd Tuesday of next week.

Just kidding, but we enjoy the outages just as much as the next person. If we are able to avoid certain situations we absolutely would as it doesn't benefit us to have an outage it hurts every time. Understanding not having internet is frustrating and a large inconvenience to the majority we do the best we can in each situation to quickly repair and restore any damage that has taken place.

As for the location of the accident still looking into this and once have the info I will send the information in the thread.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
2nd Tuesday of next week? Good thing I was planning to only use the web on the 1rst Tuesday of next week.

My friends on facebook have also been telling me that there is a scheduled downtime for facebook from Feb 29 - 31 and to not plan to use facebook during that time.

TSI Marty
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:5

1 edit
Good thing, I think you might be safe then!

Is the Facebook outage legit? I haven't heard anything on that.

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to graniterock
said by graniterock:

2nd Tuesday of next week? Good thing I was planning to only use the web on the 1rst Tuesday of next week.

My friends on facebook have also been telling me that there is a scheduled downtime for facebook from Feb 29 - 31 and to not plan to use facebook during that time.

LAWLZ!!! You do of course realize that February 29 - 31 doesn't exist, right? February only goes as far as February 28... LOL LOL LOL

iRage

join:2010-06-01
Canada

1 edit
reply to evil_gusgus
Let's all blame an ISP for a truck smashing into a few lines and then cry that "I can't work from home and I'm losing so much money rawwwwwwwwwr! Me want credit so you give me monies for my lost time rabblerabblerabble!".
If having a constant connection is 100% vital in keeping your finances coming in working from home, you need to implement some redundancy and get a dry loop DSL connection as a backup. Or tether your cellphone/hotspot that shit up. If you're not willing to go the extra mile in securing your connection then STFU and eat your loss because it's YOUR fault for not thinking ahead. Not TekSavvy, not Rogers, YOURS.

We're talking about the internet. It WILL go down at some point in your busy little life and this WILL happen again, no matter who the hell your ISP is. So go ahead and cancel TekSavvy, Rogers etc over this and future outages. It won't make a bit of difference to them.

Anyway, I'm back up in London as well. I had kids bitching at me about it. Next time I'll come complain that my kids are bitching so then maybe the internet will come back faster.

Arcturus

join:2008-04-18
London, ON
Not to mention I mean really, is it worth THAT much of your time to get your f'n 1 dollars in credit back?!?

Seriously? It is 1 dollar, maybe a buck fifty.

koldfyre

@teksavvy.com
reply to MrMazda86
Next Leap Day: February 29, 2016... just sayin...

alpovs

join:2009-08-08
reply to evil_gusgus
Looks like the line was cut between the London POI and the rest of the world. So, TekSavvy has only line for the whole city + St. Thomas and area? Really? This is the first time this word came to my mind in relation to TekSavvy: unprofessional. The whole idea of the internet was if the enemy brings down one line the traffic will find another route to the destination.

I see that traffic goes from London to London through Toronto (that is to non-TekSavvy IP's). Essentially, it is the same as it would have been with aggregated POI model. So, what is the point of the non-aggregated structure? Except it would have been better with aggregated POI because I bet Rogers' internet is the proper one, with redundancy.

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

1 edit
said by alpovs:

Looks like the line was cut between the London POI and the rest of the world. So, TekSavvy has only line for the whole city + St. Thomas and area? Really? This is the first time this word came to my mind in relation to TekSavvy: unprofessional. The whole idea of the internet was if the enemy brings down one line the traffic will find another route to the destination.

I see that traffic goes from London to London through Toronto (that is to non-TekSavvy IP's). Essentially, it is the same as it would have been with aggregated POI model. So, what is the point of the non-aggregated structure? Except it would have been better with aggregated POI because I bet Rogers' internet is the proper one, with redundancy.

Actually, I think you misunderstood the whole situation. The problem didn't lie with TekSavvy. The hardware (links) that were damaged was actually all Rogers equipment. Depending on where in the area you fall depended on whether or not you were affected, regardless of whether you were with Rogers or TekSavvy.

There were a few customers (both Rogers AND TekSavvy) who still maintained their signal somehow. I suspect that it may have been multiple links that were taken out on the same main lines. This would explain why there were a few customers who didn't loose a signal, since it would suggest that a small fragment of the system was still functional.

Before you go trying to "crucify" TekSavvy, I suggest that you first fully inform yourself of all the facts. This may save you a lot of frustrations.

alpovs

reply to evil_gusgus
And all rumors that this outage affected any other networks are unconfirmed. During the outage the traffic stopped after 24-52-255-166.cable.teksavvy.com. The next hop is always TekSavvy's (24-52-255-165.cable.teksavvy.com or london3(or 2).cable.teksavvy.com). So, the problem was on TekSavvy network. The fiber lines may belong to Rogers, of course.

alpovs

reply to MrMazda86
MrMazda86, do you know anyone with TekSavvy in London who did not have an outage or anyone in London who is not with TekSavvy who had an outage? You are not even in London. A couple of friends near me on Rogers didn't have any outages. Nobody with Start responded to a question about an outage. And trace routes clearly show where that outage happened.