join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jasmo34

Re: [Cable] Outage in London

said by jasmo34:

Concerning those 'confirmed reports' of Start having cable troubles in London today...

Rocca from Start said... "We were not impacted by any outage today."

edit1: Sorry alpovs... I was just slower than you.

I'm not sure where I had read that was the case. But I corrected my contribution to that mistake. I do apologize to Rocca for that.

»Re: [Cable] Outage in London

alpovs

join:2009-08-08
reply to MrMazda86
said by MrMazda86:

What I was referring to was their ability to obtain an actual connection to anything beyond what required access beyond gw01.wdstck.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Are you sure you are talking about London? Woodstock is not that close. TekSavvy has a separate POI for Woodstock. All people on Rogers I know in London didn't have any issues, and see above about Start.ca.
Expand your moderator at work

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to alpovs

Re: [Cable] Outage in London

Yes... I do mean London... Take a look at this example

quote:
Tracing route to mail1.tech911solutions.com [99.247.245.217]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.42.8.1
2 7 ms 6 ms 9 ms gw03.lndn.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.90.65]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 6 ms 8 ms 9 ms gw01.wdstck.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.73]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

This is a direct copy and paste of what I received from my technical office in London when going through troubleshooting to determine where the problem was. Fortunately, it just so happens that we have a DSL line in that facility also, so it just meant some temporary re-routing and dealing with a somewhat slower internet, but we were still able to conduct business.

This is how I know that Rogers was affected in the same point also. In normal circumstances, the next hop in that route is gw01.brntfd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com, which happens to be a connection going from Woodstock to Brantford. It seems a little convenient that the connection would drop between Woodstock and Brantford when the exact problem that TekSavvy was having also happened to be between Woodstock and Brantford.

Coincidence? I think not...

alpovs

said by MrMazda86:

Coincidence? I think not...

MrMazda86, are you serious? That IP: mail1.tech911solutions.com [99.247.245.217] geolocates to Brantford, Ontario, Canada. Maybe there was a problem connecting from London to Brantford on Rogers but the rest of the world was fine, unlike on TekSavvy.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
Yes... I'm well aware of where that server is located. Why would it be though that the connection tapers off between those two points? Also, why would it be that ALL internet connectivity between those two hops mysteriously wasn't making it through?

alpovs

1 edit
reply to MrMazda86
said by MrMazda86:

Actually... Yes. I know both Rogers and TekSavvy customers in London. Rogers had the exact same problem. I called them myself just for shits and giggles to see if they were having the same issue. Whether with Rogers or TekSavvy, they all said the same thing.

OK, MrMazda86, the above is from your post. You don't live in London, I think you should stay off this thread and not spread misinformation. TekSavvy customers in London totally lost all internet connectivity. Rogers customers maybe only lost connectivity to Brantford but not to the rest of the world. And why is that? If you read this thread you will notice that TekSavvy reported that a fiber line was cut between Woodstock and Brantford.

Please don't spread misinformation that Rogers customers in London had the same problem, i.e., a total loss of internet connectivity, as TekSavvy customers.

walile

join:2013-02-10

1 edit
reply to iRage
said by iRage:

Let's all blame an ISP for a truck smashing into a few lines and then cry that "I can't work from home and I'm losing so much money rawwwwwwwwwr! Me want credit so you give me monies for my lost time rabblerabblerabble!".
If having a constant connection is 100% vital in keeping your finances coming in working from home, you need to implement some redundancy and get a dry loop DSL connection as a backup. Or tether your cellphone/hotspot that shit up. If you're not willing to go the extra mile in securing your connection then STFU and eat your loss because it's YOUR fault for not thinking ahead. Not TekSavvy, not Rogers, YOURS.

We're talking about the internet. It WILL go down at some point in your busy little life and this WILL happen again, no matter who the hell your ISP is. So go ahead and cancel TekSavvy, Rogers etc over this and future outages. It won't make a bit of difference to them.

Anyway, I'm back up in London as well. I had kids bitching at me about it. Next time I'll come complain that my kids are bitching so then maybe the internet will come back faster.

IMHO, this is a classic post from a fanboy. A rather pathetic response that total missed the point and failed to realized the context.

I suffered from multiple service interruption in the the last month. Did a truck smashed a few lines back then as well?

If I am not getting the product and service that I paid for, yes I expect my money back or some sort of arrangements to be made. Quite bluntly that this is Canada, not some third world country.

walile

join:2013-02-10

1 edit
reply to Arcturus
said by Arcturus:

Not to mention I mean really, is it worth THAT much of your time to get your f'n 1 dollars in credit back?!?

Seriously? It is 1 dollar, maybe a buck fifty.

First of all, it is a matter of principle. I do agree that you have to pick your battles, therefore I don't even bother to call tech support anymore. It honestly is a waste of my time.

Also, it is worth more than a dollar. I pay $840 a year, that is $2.30 per day. I suffered from extended service interruption at least three times in the last 30 days or so. There were more in the paste.

Quite frankly my drink at Starbucks cost way more than that. But at least when Acanac gave me credit for the downtime, I feel respected as a customer. When TekSavvy denied to refund me for services that I paid for and not rendered, I find that despicable. Especially if they are doing it to thousands of customer at the same time.

Now, I have been contacted by a TekSavvy Rep, he said that he will look into the situation for me. I hope a happy resolution can be reached.

Again to the fanboys, defending TekSavvy is not gonna help attract new customers or make existing frustrated customers stay. IMHO, what you guys are doing is a disservice to TekSavvy.

I am new to the forum and I actually wondered if some of the apologist of TekSavvy are paid by the competitors to make TekSavvy look bad. Certainly no business savvy individual with a financial interest in TekSavvy would be posting these kinda comments.

I do applaud TekSavvy for their responses here.

derek n

@184.151.61.x
reply to MrMazda86
I live on Riverside drive near Wonderland rd in London and my Rogers internet went out around 2:30 am feb 11, and it is not 3:30.. My cell is with Bell which is how im looking up this stuff now...

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to evil_gusgus
said by derek n :

I live on Riverside drive near Wonderland rd in London and my Rogers internet went out around 2:30 am feb 11, and it is not 3:30.. My cell is with Bell which is how im looking up this stuff now...

Hi There,

If you're still offline and have not opened a ticket we can either troubleshoot this or I can look for an update for you. Please feel free to message us in the direct forum with account information so I can look into this.
--
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

TSI Marty
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:5
reply to MrMazda86
OH my goodness is all I have to say, I can not believe I missed that.

I actually had a conversation with a fellow colleague about the potential calls we will get in panic for peoples facebook not loading!.

*shaking head in shame*

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to alpovs
@alpovs: I may not live in London, but I have systems down there that run on the Rogers network primarily. I had to have them switched over to the Bell backup for a while because of this issue.

Further, I suggest that you check all of your facts before trying to make suggestions to others. I can confirm that Rogers had the same issue. I don't have to live in London necessarily to know of such things as how the routing to the outside world seems to work based on running a few network commands to determine the routing.

The interesting part is that the original reason for using this server for the trace was because it started with a phone call that I received to advise me that there were problems trying to connect to the main email server. It turned out that it wasn't just the primary email system that they couldn't access, but rather the world of the internet.

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON
reply to walile
No... he's right. IF you work from home have cable and DSL. Preferably from two different carriers. Common sense.

I hope you enjoy your $2 back, enjoy that 6 pack of timbits.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marty
said by TSI Marty:

OH my goodness is all I have to say, I can not believe I missed that.

I actually had a conversation with a fellow colleague about the potential calls we will get in panic for peoples facebook not loading!.

*shaking head in shame*

LOL.... It's ok MartinP.... I suspect you had a long enough weekend with the real outage.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to chrisl83
said by chrisl83:

No... he's right. IF you work from home have cable and DSL. Preferably from two different carriers. Common sense.

I hope you enjoy your $2 back, enjoy that 6 pack of timbits.

Exactly... Because those services are heavily dependant on the internet in order to conduct business, I have a back-up method that can be used to establish a PPPoE link through Bell when Rogers goes down. I realize that this may be paying two providers for the same service essentially, which may be seen as double-billing, but in reality, when it comes down to business, the potential costs in loss of business caused by a server outage far exceed that of what the second connection costs. In the end, it's more economically sound to just keep the 2nd connection on the back burner for just such situations.