how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to skcussregor

Re: [Extreme] WIN 8 Security

Why add third party security bloatware? Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender and Windows firewall, all that's needed.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

A firewall on the system you're trying to protect is like letting a burglar into your front hallway ... he can still do all kinds of havoc. Your firewall should be OUTSIDE your system, such as on a router. So Windows firewall is silly.

As for Windows Defender, most efforts by M$ to produce AV products thus far have not exactly been outstanding in their field ... more like out, standing in the field! So, I wouldn't trust Windows Defender. I would go with a 3rd party that is IN THE ANTIVIRUS BUSINESS, (not a jack of all trades) such as Avira or AVG or Kaspersky. (AVG seem to have resolved the excess system impact problems they had in an earlier version)

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Kaspersky's a pathetic program. It won't let me add exceptions for git, so anytime I try to do anything (like right-click new folder), it takes forever cuz of git's integration.

I'll be recommending to my boss that we switch from it.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

I had issues with Kaspersky like that ... but it is considered a good AV engine for detecting them!