All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Perma
join:2011-12-20

Perma to skcussregor

to skcussregor

Re: [Extreme] WIN 8 Security

Why add third party security bloatware? Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender and Windows firewall, all that's needed.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

A firewall on the system you're trying to protect is like letting a burglar into your front hallway ... he can still do all kinds of havoc. Your firewall should be OUTSIDE your system, such as on a router. So Windows firewall is silly.

As for Windows Defender, most efforts by M$ to produce AV products thus far have not exactly been outstanding in their field ... more like out, standing in the field! So, I wouldn't trust Windows Defender. I would go with a 3rd party that is IN THE ANTIVIRUS BUSINESS, (not a jack of all trades) such as Avira or AVG or Kaspersky. (AVG seem to have resolved the excess system impact problems they had in an earlier version)
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Kaspersky's a pathetic program. It won't let me add exceptions for git, so anytime I try to do anything (like right-click new folder), it takes forever cuz of git's integration.

I'll be recommending to my boss that we switch from it.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I had issues with Kaspersky like that ... but it is considered a good AV engine for detecting them!