how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

iPhone28

@telus.net

pfsense / windows server 2008 R2

Hi there,

I am very new to this technical world ! I have installed virtual-box on my pc and pfsense. When I ran the pfsense, it displays the DHCP and IP address (10.0.10.1).
Also I have installed windows server 2008 R2 and given a static IP address (10.0.10.5) and gateway address (10.0.10.1) but it is not connected.
I am getting ! sign on my network right bottom of screen.
Please help me. Thanks in advance.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

Need more information, but it sounds to me like you want to play around with pfsense for awhile before using it as your firewall? Is this the case? In this case, I wonder why you are going to the trouble of installing Windows Server 2008 on another virtual instance? You can configure pfsense from the host machine that is running pfsense instead.

However, if you want two virtual machines on the same host machine to be able to network together, you should use the "Internal Networking" mode. You will need to shut down both VMs, go into their networking settings and change this mode.

»www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

Expand your moderator at work

iPhone28

@telus.net
reply to gweidenh

Re: pfsense / windows server 2008 R2

My main purpose here is to create a network, where 2 created VMs can connect to each other and can talk to each other etc.

These following are my settings in pfsense

pfsense (Adapter) --Bridged Adapter
name — IntelR Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (name of my computer adapter

2nd tab (Adapter 2) — Host Only Adapter
name — VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

Under Window Server 2008 — setting are
Adapter 1 — Host-only Adapter
Name — VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

Please advise where I am falling over !

Thank you in advance.

gweidenh

Houston, TX

Dont use bridged mode for pfsense.

iPhone28

@telus.net

Thanks.

I have tried the Internal network on Adapter 1 for pfsense but the same issue. The pfsense shows DHCP and IP address and able to ping to external network ok. But the issue lies on the winserver where I have added the static IP address, is showing an ! on the Internet connection icon.

Please advise what I should do here.

Many thanks

gweidenh

Houston, TX

OK, now I think I understand what you are trying to do. You installed pfsense and went through the setup procedure setting up the WAN as Adapter 1 in Virtualbox and the LAN as adapter 2 in virtualbox. You set up the LAN to use the 10.0.10.x address range. You then installed a second machine and setup a static IP address hoping you could connect to the LAN interface of pfsense.

Is this what you are attempting?

Expand your moderator at work

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to iPhone28

Re: pfsense / windows server 2008 R2

If you have a local firewall running on the host such as McAfee or such then you need to open the ports for incoming connections (from the host point of view) for UDP 53 (DNS) etc. Look at the firewall logs to see which ports it's blocking and create f/w rules to allow them as incoming connections.

iPhone28

@telus.net
reply to gweidenh

yes that is exactly what I am trying to do, but when I add the static IP address I am able to connect to LAN interface of the pfsense but unable to connect to WAN from window server via pfsense.
Pfsense is able to ping WAN.
So some setting is required to enable window server to connect to WAN through pfsense.
I have disabled the firewall on local machine and also on window server.
Kindly assist further.
Many thanks

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:21
reply to iPhone28

From the 2k8 server command line, try these commands and post results:

ipconfig /all

ping 10.0.10.5

ping 10.0.10.1

ping 8.8.8.8

nslookup yahoo.com

ping yahoo.com

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to iPhone28

Also, can you ping www.yahoo.com from pfSense Diagnostics->Ping on the WAN interface?