uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit

Cannot Stop Java Updater no matter what I do!

Click for full size
Every couple of minutes, I get an alert from WinPatrol this piece of shit wants to put itself in my STARTUP PROGRAMS so it runs ALL THE TIME! Because I get the alerts from WinPatrol every couple of minutes, now I get sent to WinPatrol's dealing with repeating alerts page...I had 10 instances open of that in Fx...every time I tell WinPatrol to not allow Java Updater to run I get the WinPatrol page. I tried the instructions there but damn Oracle insists on putting Java autoupdate back in Startup! So, there is an ugly loop going on here.

I cannot find any way to turn this off in Java Control Panel! I keep telling WinPatrol to NOT allow it to run at startup. Yet the damn thing tries OVER AND OVER AND OVER to run! So, I renamed the offending file. I guess that would stop it from actually updating but I don't want even a crippled jusched.exe running at Startup.

So, how do I stop this (short of uninstalling Java...I need Java)?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

1 edit

Re: How to disable Java AutoUpdater 2.0 on Windows 8?

You should just allow it to make the start up entry and then delete the registry key after it creates it, it shouldn't try to put it back once it creates it the first time. Unfortunately it will put it back any time you update Java from the internal updater.

The way around this is to disable the updater entirely via the registry and then use another program to keep Java up to date like Secunia PSI or manually check it with Ninite, etc.

The bigger question is do you need Java at all? If not uninstall it, not many people need it and all does it create hassles and potentially just leave a big target on your computer's back for hackers since Java seems to have new exploits discovered bi-weekly it seems, while Oracle doesn't update Java to rectify the bugs very often at all.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Ok. Thanks. I can disable the Registry key.

What I don't understand is what happened to being able to uncheck in Java panel for automatic update of Java?

Yes, I must have Java.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

Oh that can still work, but it's a little bit more complicated than it should be since Sun/Oracle never made the Java control panel UAC aware. So the check box in the control panel will set itself back to being checked if you open the control panel normally.

To uncheck the box and have it stick you need to run the Java control panel from an Administrative command prompt by running this command:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe"

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Re: Cannot Stop Java Updater no matter what I do!

Now I finally remember why I don't have an Updates tab in Java Panel anymore. It's because auto updates don't exist for the IE 64 bit version so because I stupidly put both 32 bit and 64bit versions of Java on IE 10 back in Oct when I got this new computer, (and you CANNOT remove Java from IE which I did not know back then), the update tab was removed from Java Panel as the IE 64 bit update has to be done manually (which is how I have ALWAYS updated Java).
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to SpHeRe31459

Re: How to disable Java AutoUpdater 2.0 on Windows 8?

We crossed in our posts. I have UAC disabled in the Registry. I simply don't have that update tab any longer on this machine.
--

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
reply to Mele20

In Win 8, Startups are in Task Manager.
Disable it.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I did disable it in Task Manager Startups, but Oracle tries to override that!

I just killed the Java Update key in the Windows Registry. I kept getting WinPatrol alerts so I rebooted the computer. I STILL get WinPatrol alerts!!! The alerts come so often and throw me to WinPatrol's page off of this page where I am trying to type that this has almost crippled my use of my computer. I got THREE WinPatrol alerts while typing this.

Surely (fourth WinPatrol alert just now) it can't run as it is disabled now in the Registry and I renamed the file also so no way it can run. But why does it keep trying to run? Maybe this is a WinPatrol bug? (FIFTH alert from WinPatrol just now).
--

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

3 edits
reply to Mele20

What firewall are you using.....can't you just block the program from online look-ups.
ccleaner with ccenhancer will wipe the current updater problems...forget where it all is ATM.
CAUTION with ccenhancer it had/has foistware or something. Using an older version with the problem bit removed?

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

3 edits
reply to Mele20

Or is this more like it

Java may create it's own temp folder (somewhere). and as java runs auto, may internally search for it and run it. Looking for a unique reg entry may not exist, which is why i originally suggested ccenhancer, it usually finds such temp folders

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to ashrc4

Click for full size
I think the problem is a minor WinPatrol bug. You are supposed to be able to permanently remove a program in the StartUp program list. You can't do this until you make sure the program you want to remove from StartUp is not running in the Active tab list. This was not running there. So, even though I had disabled it in the StartUp program list, I also removed it permanently from Startup. At least I TRIED to remove it permanently. However, this program evidently cannot be permanently removed by WinPatrol so that it STAYS always removed from Startup and WinPatrol no longer asks about activating it. (I suspect that is a bug).

WinPatrol kept giving me those popups to put Java update back in Startup EVEN THOUGH IT WOULD BE DISABLED THERE. That's a little screwy (why insist on putting it back in Startup when it is disabled)? But finally, I gave permission for it to be added back to Startup Programs list. I then checked WinPatrol and it is added back ....disabled.

The WinPatrol popups stopped then. For funsies, I again removed it from WinPatrol Startup program list. That action is supposed to make that program disappear forever from trying to get in the Startup list. But the moment I removed it again...I began getting the popups from WinPatrol that itwas adding itself to the Startup list and did I want to allow that? Sigh. So, I allowed it to be added back again to WinPatrol's Startup list. It is there...still disabled (I didn't have to disable it again) and the popups stopped.

So, I think there is a minor bug in WinPatrol as it should let me permanently remove it and then WinPatrol should never ask again about it be allowed in Startup Programs list rather it should just silently block it permanently...but it is NOT doing that. Still, as most here know WinPatrol is an excellent program for many, many years now and this is a minor thing (now that I know I have to leave it in Startup list but it does stay disabled...at least so far). So, there is a small bug, it seems, but if I leave it in the Startup list, and have it disabled there, then that is a workaround to having it permanently out of the list.
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Mele20

What if you simply remove it from your startup entries Mele after it sets itself there??

Either that or delete jusched.exe (I dont think that file is used for anything but checking for updates so it should work w/o it -- Change the filename (jusched1.exe for example) and see if Java still works ok..)

Good luck

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Mele20

i have heard that java's updater doesn't uninstall the old version of "java" when it installs the new one.. if that is the case, in my opinion, it shouldn't have an updater at all.. instead, just let people manually uninstall the old version and then install the new one..

i saw where someone had several versions of "java" installed on their computer, probably as a result of relying on its updater to keep it up-to-date rather than manually uninstalling the old versions and then installing the new ones..

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

This works for Windows 7, paths may be different for Windows 8.

For the 64 bit version Navigate to Computer > Windows 7 (C) > Program Files > Java > jre7 > bin > javacpl.exe > right click > run as administrator > advanced > uncheck Java Quick starter > apply > ok your way out.

For the 32 bit version Navigate to Computer > Windows 7 (C) > Program Files (x86) > Java > jre7 > bin > javacpl.exe > right click > run as administrator > Update > Uncheck Check for updates Automatically > A screen appears asking how often you want to check (can't remember the exact phrase) > apply and ok your way out. While you are here click Advanced and make sure Java quick starter is unchecked.

Delete the registry key which you have already done. A reboot is required to get this to work. Don't forget to run as administrator or it will not work. An easier solution to disabe this key is to use Autoruns and uncheck SunJavaUpdateSched.

When you update Java you will need to go thru this again. PITA.

Edit: Remember there are two Java Control Panels. The one at start > control panel > Java will only show the X64 bit version.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

What if you simply remove it from your startup entries Mele after it sets itself there??

That's generally what I do with any software I install, and it works. Sometimes the simplest methods are the best.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to redwolfe_98

said by redwolfe_98:

i have heard that java's updater doesn't uninstall the old version of "java" when it installs the new one.. if that is the case, in my opinion, it shouldn't have an updater at all.. instead, just let people manually uninstall the old version and then install the new one..

i saw where someone had several versions of "java" installed on their computer, probably as a result of relying on its updater to keep it up-to-date rather than manually uninstalling the old versions and then installing the new ones..

thatz the correct method.............dnld the new javas 32/64........but leave them parked 4the moment...........now go uninstall the older java versions...........completed.....good........now install the new versions........next go into ccleaner/tools and disable the updater......in the startup and scheduler sections

also, use the ccleaner to remove junk files regularly.....and do registry checks after each install........

for a more thorough tune-up use boost speed once a week...ccleaner is not as an in depth as auslogics......boost speed
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

Dr Tweak

join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA
reply to Mele20

You can uninstall Java X64 if needed, it's not really needed anyway since 99% of browsers are X32. To disable it first go into the settings for the Java Control Panel, if you want the settings to stick you have to run it as the Admin (right click on it and select "run as administrator"), the Java Control Panel is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin - javacpl, it will simply be under C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin for the X64 version. Open the Control Panel as the admin then go to the update tab and uncheck "check for updates automatically" and select "ok". Now download Autoruns from Microsoft and run the executable as the administrator and look for the section HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and uncheck java update there. After this it should not check for updates anymore.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to dsilvers

Part of the problem is that if you install the 64 bit version of Java, and you have IE 10 on Win 8, then the 32bit Java panel CHANGES to match the 64 bit one. In the 64 bit one, Java auto update has been removed because you have to manually update that version of Java so Oracle made it so that you also have to manually update the 32bit version if you install the 64bit version on IE 10.

So, in BOTH Java panels there is NO "Check for Updates Automatically" to be unchecked. Oracle REMOVED that from both 32bit and 64bit Java Panel when I installed Java 64bit for IE 10. I had just about forgotten this and suddenly remembered it last night. I installed the 64 bit version on IE 10 because Microsoft says that 32bit IE 10 is mostly 64 bit and should have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Java installed. If I had NOT installed Java 64 bit for IE 10, I would still have the "check for updates" box in the Java control panel and could simply have unchecked it.

As for Java quick starter, again, Oracle changed that when I installed 64 bit Java for IE 10 and made Java quick starter GRAYED OUT on both 32 bit and 64 bit Java control panel.

I PREFER manual update and have always done manual update. I still think this whole thing is due to a minor bug in WinPatrol.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Dude111

Re:  

Click for full size
said by Dude111:

Either that or delete jusched.exe (I dont think that file is used for anything but checking for updates so it should work w/o it -- Change the filename (jusched1.exe for example) and see if Java still works ok..)

Good luck

Microsoft in its "wisdom" has made it quite difficult to find the Startup folder in Win 8. This irritation started, I think, with Vista and, coming from XP where the Startup folder is RIGHT THERE WHERE IT SHOULD BE in Start/Programs, it was terribly confusing when I got this computer and one of the VERY FIRST things I needed to do was place the Proxomitron in the Startup folder...which I could not find. I had to Google and read an article from some geek site about how to find this folder in Win 8. I still can't believe Microsoft would go so badly backwards in useability! Why hide the Startup folder? It was so easy on XP to drag and drop a program into the Startup folder since it was right there in Start/Programs. Now you have to first find the damn thing and then it is not as quick and simple to add to it once you find it buried away.

Anyway, I guess Microsoft buried it partly because MOST STARTUP PROGRAMS are not in it in Win 8.

I had already renamed jsched.exe last night. Win Patrol kept saying that Java update wanted to add itself to the Startup Program list. I have rebooted this computer a number of times since I renamed that file (I was cleaning up the huge amount of stuff running at Start that should NEVER run at Start and other programs that I don't want running at all) and today I see the renamed jsched.exe is GONE from both 32 bit and 64 bit Java files! Why would it disappear ...just because it was renamed? Because I also modified the registry key? I'm just curious.
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Mele20

All I've ever done is launch MS AutoRuns and disabled and REMOVED the offending 2-3 entries. They are generally jusched.exe in the logon tab and the Java Quick Start in the services tab. They DO NOT come back after I remove them. The only time the java updater may reappear is when I am installing a new version of Java. Have you never used WinPatrol prior to using Windows 8? That type of repetitive alert in WinPatrol is nothing new and has been present in nearly every version of WinPatrol I've ever used while under Windows XP and Windows 7.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to Mele20

Thats very interesting Mele that the renamed file is now gone.... (Deleted??)

Hmmmmmmm i dont have an answer to that!!

Yes Dustyn: You wouldnt think it would come back! (Unless something is calling it like ON DEMAND files (Like with WMP it creates 3 dll files during use (You can delete the 3 files after its closed and on next launch of WMP it re-creates them)))

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Mele20

Click for full size
Java?

What Java?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

. Have you never used WinPatrol prior to using Windows 8? That type of repetitive alert in WinPatrol is nothing new and has been present in nearly every version of WinPatrol I've ever used while under Windows XP and Windows 7.

No, I use Diamond CS's ProcessGuard on XP. It would not work on Vista (but only because the owner disappeared suddenly (and was never seen again) as they about had it updated to work on Vista). Since I could not use it on Vista, I had a variety of somewhat similar programs on it at different times. I had Vista ONLY on a virtual machine and haven't used that machine in more than a year. I did have WinPatrol on it for awhile and that is the ONLY time I have used WinPatrol. So, I wasn't familiar with repetitive alert in it. But after several alerts, WinPatrol automatically opened a page that explained why I was getting the repetitive alerts and how to fix the problem. The only thing was the fix does NOT work!
--