share rss forum feed

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

TSA Screening is a Joke

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – Showing a government-issued identification at a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint is a practice most travelers consider part of the flying experience. However, it is not mandated by federal law.

A KPIX 5 investigation reveals that passengers can pass through security checkpoints using a broad range of documentation including utility bills, prescriptions, credit cards, and even Costco membership cards – a fact that surprises veteran travelers.

»sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/0···ecurity/
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

traveldewd

@cox.net

said by Name Game:

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – Showing a government-issued identification at a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint is a practice most travelers consider part of the flying experience. However, it is not mandated by federal law.

A KPIX 5 investigation reveals that passengers can pass through security checkpoints using a broad range of documentation including utility bills, prescriptions, credit cards, and even Costco membership cards – a fact that surprises veteran travelers.

»sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/0···ecurity/

Ho Hum, a lot of words about something that's been published on the TSA website for quite some time.

Security experts know that to properly secure something you use multiple layers so that if the bad guys penetrate one, they still don't "win". The ID is one, the actual screening is another. In reality there should be another layer or two but privacy concerns are going to prevent that.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 recommendations

That is a joke to..since when has the federal government much less the TSA been anything about privacy concerns? But you are welcome to explain this 'prevention" you speak of.

The rest of the stuff you just made up
Acceptable IDs
»www.tsa.gov/traveler-information···able-ids

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Name Game

quote:
TSA Screening is a Joke

Maybe but a very bad one
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

3 recommendations

reply to Name Game

sport fishin', again are we?

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Loved the comments on that article.

Think I'll try my UK Library Card next time I'm flying to Heathrow.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:9
reply to Name Game

Anybody wanna buy my Costco Card?
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

1 recommendation

I already did!

traveldewd

@cox.net
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

That is a joke to..since when has the federal government much less the TSA been anything about privacy concerns? But you are welcome to explain this 'prevention" you speak of.

The rest of the stuff you just made up
Acceptable IDs
»www.tsa.gov/traveler-information···able-ids

Israeli style security where you have multiple layers of questioning and checks as well as profiling would be a far greater breach of privacy than simply looking at you nude. Congress isn't going to allow it, at least not yet so they are prevented from implementing it.

As to making things up, any basic guideline for facility security will refer to the onion style of layered defenses.

As to your "acceptable ID" link, from the second paragraph:
"We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won't be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone's identity, like using publicly available databases."

That's been published since before 2009 and you have cases where the TSA has affirmed that you do not need ID to pass through a checkpoint. This comment from the TSA's blog about the Phil Mocek case is an example »blog.tsa.gov/2011/01/new-mexico-···ick.html

The issue that the cbs report points out is that there doesn't appear to be any standardized procedure of how they proceed when you don't have acceptable ID.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Which further strengthens why TSA is a joke..

»www.internationalpolicydigest.or···e-world/

TSA does not even smile when they steal you blind on domestic flights.
»www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/12/tsa-ipads/

quote:
A TSA agent convicted of stealing more than $800,000 worth of goods from travelers said this type of theft is “commonplace” among airport security. Almost 400 TSA officers have been fired for stealing from passengers since 2003.
Pythias Brown, a former Transportation Security Administration officer at Newark Liberty International Airport, spent four years stealing everything he could from luggage and security checkpoints, including clothing, laptops, cameras, Nintendo Wiis, video games and cash.
Speaking publicly for the first time after being released after three years in prison, Brown told ABC News that he used the X-ray scanners to locate the most valuable items to snatch.
“I could tell whether it was cameras or laptops or portable cameras or whatever kind of electronic was in the bag,” he said.
Brown often worked alone, screening luggage behind the ticket counters. He was frequently told the overhead surveillance cameras, installed to prevent theft, were not working.
“It was so easy,” he said. “I walked right out of the checkpoint with a Nintendo Wii in my hand. Nobody said a word.”
»rt.com/usa/news/tsa-stealing-fro···ers-358/
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Ssssshhh not so loud.I am having a peanut butter sandwich for lunch !
»www.infowars.com/man-sues-tsa-fo···-arrest/