spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

awto

@teksavvy.com

[DSL] not reliable

I have been using TekSavvy's DSL for a year. From the first day to present time, the signal is so so. It disconnected once a while, but no big deal. The quality is similar as Bell, on and off once a while. But there is a situation happens all the time. When I use the DSL from 8am to 4pm, it is ok, got disconnected once a while, but it is steady enough. However, after 4 to 4:30 or 5pm, it is on and off constantly. I can't do anything during that time. I keep turn on and off my modem , I called the service , disconnect my phone line and re-plug in.... The internet comes back to normal after 9pm. This situation almost happens every day. On the weekend, it is on and off the whole day. This is like a kind of cycle. I was guessing maybe after 4:30pm to 5pm, more people coming home to use internet, so my DSL got screwed? It is frustrating and painful using TekSavvy or I should say Bell's line. Now, even worse, after the snow storm, the internet connection disconnected itself when all the lights on the modem are still on. I have to turn off and on the modem every 5 minutes. Everytime I called the service, I have to do the routine, changing the line, disconnect and connect the line.... It never changes anything.

TSI David
TSI David
Premium,VIP
join:2007-06-25
Chatham, ON
kudos:8

Hey,

If possible can you send me a PM or make a post in the direct forum with your account info so we can look into your specific issue?

Thank you,

David

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to awto

That honestly sounds like a bad modem/router or line issue. The norm I experience is near zero down time and very very rare reboots (once every couple months). The only thing that was causing any issues for me was Bhell's firmware/forced modem rental. Stability, ping times, consistency of service were all improved when I moved from Bhell to TSI on the same line.

mike0z

@teksavvy.com
reply to awto

sounds like your dsl modem is losing connection. You can verify by looking at the dsl light on the modem, if it goes out and hen starts blinking it is trying to re-connect. Others (myself included) have had time of day specific DSL disconnects, usually brought on by some type of radio interference by lighting, etc. Can also be caused by other things using your phone line like a satellite receiver, alarm system, or just the phone... They all need a line filter installed, and line filters can malfunction and need replaced. Try to troubleshoot by disconnecting anything connected to your phone line, if all else fails teksavvy can have your speed profile reduced to make the connection stable.

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
reply to awto

Is your line noisy (plug a phone in if you don't have one already)? Old wires with cracked insulator will get noisy when it rains or snow melts.

rtutt

@184.151.190.x
reply to awto

I'm having the exact same issue as op. I subscibed to the TekSavvy DSL service in South Oshawa on the 1st of February and I've been encountering the exact same problems. From ~8pm-~noon I have no problems with the network, but then afternon hits and my DSL connection keeps dropping. TekSavvy was extremely unhelpful on the phone and I'm dying to know what's going on.

ANY help would be extremely welcome.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5

Hello rtutt,

Could you please post your account info in the direct forum here: »TekSavvy Direct so we can look into this issue with you? I'm sorry to hear you haven't had much luck with our tech support over the phone but we'll be more than happy to have another look.

Thank you,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

GDavis

join:2013-05-11
Oshawa, ON
reply to rtutt

Did they resolve you issue?

I have been having the same problem since I signed on with them.

Even worse when it rains.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

said by GDavis:

Even worse when it rains.

Do you have HBELL 'underground' wiring to the demarc ?

rtutt

@teksavvy.com
reply to GDavis

Yes, it's been resolved. A tech came over to my house and detected a short in the line, probably from something coming into contact with the wire intermittently. He re-wired the line inside the house from the external jack and made a new connection inside the house to my modem and I've had absolutely no service interruptions since.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by rtutt :

Yes, it's been resolved. A tech came over to my house and detected a short in the line, probably from something coming into contact with the wire intermittently. He re-wired the line inside the house from the external jack and made a new connection inside the house to my modem and I've had absolutely no service interruptions since.

Do you have wirecare? If not they advised you i'm assuming of the $90 fee right? Internal wiring is charged i believe.

I also wanted to give you a thumbs up for coming here and admitting it was a short in the line. Many would have just walked away and never heard a word from again about the issue

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to awto

I was on DSL for years, up until this month. I never had a major outage to speak of. I'm sure they'll help you out though, just ask them, they'll make sure you're running well.

Every time my speed dropped below 80% I posted in direct, and got an answer within the day. I'm a power user, and my rsync speed is important.

Teksavvy service is awesome. Just think positive, and work with them!