join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Which Free AV To Use? - Avast Paid Is Expiring

I have paid for Avast Pro AV for the past 3 years. I've been getting notifications since 30 days left to expiration that they want me to renew at $39.99. I believe that I saw an offer on a friend's computer who was running Avast Free that was going to expire to upgrade for $19.99. That's bullshit making customers who pay, pay more at expiration to renew.

Money is tight now, and I'm not going to pay Avast $39.99 when others can get Avast Pro for $19.99. So would you recommend just going with Avast Free? Or is there another Free AV that I should try?

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

3 edits

1 recommendation

gugarci

Premium Member

If you like Avast either renew it or use the free version. I have been using the free version of Avast on my kids laptops for over 2 years now and neither one has ever been compromised, knocking on wood.

If you want to try something else use Avira, or Bitdefender. If I was you I would use the free version of Avast.

aussiedog
join:2007-01-10
Mesilla Park, NM

aussiedog

said by gugarci:

If you like Avast either renew it or use the free version.

+1
I've used Avast free for about 10 years now and have had good results with it. It's low on resources, as effective as anything else I've used and renewing the free license is not much of a bother. The negatives to adjust for are the obnoxious notification popups (I turn off anything not related to malware) and the insipid install of Google Chrome while installing Avast fresh. But as gugarci said there are lots of others to try out if you're looking for something new.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I have paid for Avast Pro AV for the past 3 years. I've been getting notifications since 30 days left to expiration that they want me to renew at $39.99. I believe that I saw an offer on a friend's computer who was running Avast Free that was going to expire to upgrade for $19.99. That's bullshit making customers who pay, pay more at expiration to renew.

Money is tight now, and I'm not going to pay Avast $39.99 when others can get Avast Pro for $19.99. So would you recommend just going with Avast Free? Or is there another Free AV that I should try?

this might sound hooooookey........i know........but there is some great free stuff here:
»www.komando.com/securitycenter/

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I haven't used the FREE version in years but yesterday I had the opportunity to renew a friends version.

The renewal process can be a little confusing to some but along with the offer for 20 bucks, look to the left for the register button and then fill in your name, email address, etc. and you are good to go for another year.

Confused me too.

Enjoy

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by jadinolf:

I haven't used the FREE version in years but yesterday I had the opportunity to renew a friends version.

The renewal process can be a little confusing to some but along with the offer for 20 bucks, look to the left for the register button and then fill in your name, email address, etc. and you are good to go for another year.

Confused me too.

Enjoy

Mine says I have 16 days left and it's still at $39.99 with a free upgrade to Avast Internet Security (which I don't want). No mention of the $20 deal.

If I could renew it for $20, I probably would.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by lordpuffer:

said by jadinolf:

Mine was $19.99 and I have a feeling the ad changes from time to time.

Anyway, I registered the FREE version for my old friend and he is good to go.

Confused me too.

Enjoy

Mine says I have 16 days left and it's still at $39.99 with a free upgrade to Avast Internet Security (which I don't want). No mention of the $20 deal.

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

TheJoker to lordpuffer

MVM

to lordpuffer
I know nothing about the company (other than it's Canadian from the domain), but the top result in Google Shopping is »www.antivirussales.ca/ where the downloaded version of avast! Pro Antivirus 1-Year / 1-User is $18.95 USD.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 recommendation

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by TheJoker:

I know nothing about the company (other than it's Canadian from the domain), but the top result in Google Shopping is »www.antivirussales.ca/ where the downloaded version of avast! Pro Antivirus 1-Year / 1-User is $18.95 USD.

Thanks! Didn't think of looking for it on my own. Was planning on updating through the program. I guess I'll keep Avast Pro AV for that price.

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

1 recommendation

TheJoker

MVM

I don't know if that program works the same as Kaspersky, where I simply buy the lowest price download I can, and no need to download anything, I simply input the new serial provided by e-mail, so not even a need to reinstall.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by TheJoker:

I don't know if that program works the same as Kaspersky, where I simply buy the lowest price download I can, and no need to download anything, I simply input the new serial provided by e-mail, so not even a need to reinstall.

Yep, that's the way it works with avast! too. Sometimes the price offered by avast! at renewal time cannot be beat. Other times you have to shop for the best price.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to TheJoker

Premium Member

to TheJoker
said by TheJoker:

It basically works the same way.

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

JTM1051 to lordpuffer

MVM

to lordpuffer
Did you happen to contact avast! support and ask why they're charging the full purchase price to renew? If I recall correctly they use to offer around a 30% discount to renew a license. Seems that with the competition with all the other AV's avast would want to keep license users.

I know avast! has really been pushing people to get avast! Internet Security with some real good discount pricing.

If you have more than one system you may want to see if the avast! Internet Security still has the custom install so you can just the features for avast! Pro (i.e., no firewall, spam filter, etc.), as you probably can get avast! Internet Security for three PC's for not much more than Pro for one PC.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

1 recommendation

MarkAW to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

said by jadinolf:

Confused me too.

Enjoy

Try here $23.99

»store.downloadcrew.com/index.php

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your responses.....I'll pick Avast up at one of the Software sites mentioned. It's better than paying $40 for it.

Old Computer8
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12
France

Old Computer8

Premium Member

If you pay or renew for $40, you upgrade to Avast Internet Security, not Avast Antivirus Pro.
AIS has more components as the firewall and antispam.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by Old Computer8:

If you pay or renew for $40, you upgrade to Avast Internet Security, not Avast Antivirus Pro.
AIS has more components as the firewall and antispam.

Thanks OC......I know that the $40 is for Avast Internet Security. I don't want that for I don't want to run the other components they offer. I just want to run an AV.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
Ojai, CA

1 recommendation

jadinolf to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Here's one of mine:

I have licenses for 6 computers

Product SKU: ISV6031Y
Product Name: avast! Internet Security - 3 PCs, 1 year
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $29.99

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium Member
join:2000-11-23

Rebrider to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

All I can tell you is that I have tried them all. Avast, Avira, AVG etc.
I am now using MSE. It is free and works for me. Everyone is different. We all have different surfing habits. It really does not matter what you use if you don't have layered security.
If you do not understand safe hex then nothing you install will protect you.
I have been telling people for years and years that the "SINGLE" most important part of internet security is "YOU THE USER"
This means keeping everything updated and not using or disabling programs like Java and using them on a selective basis.
You have to think about what you are doing and where you are going on the web.
I have never had a virus or any other malware and I have been on the internet since dial up. That's not to say I won't get hit tomorrow but by understanding the limits of security programs I vastly lower my chance of getting hit.
You have made a very good start by being here and asking questions.
I have learned a lot and been helped a lot by the good people on this forum.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks Rebrider See Profile for the great post. I am careful where I go and have also been online since dialup. I think that I've had one virus about 5 or 6 years ago.

The machine that I want to protect is my laptop which I do not use every day. I really only go to certain mainstream sites with it, and I know that if you have to stray, Google with WOT are your friends.

Because I do not use my laptop every day, I've been thinking of trying a free program like MSE. Avast expires in 15 days. I will post what I end up using.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Gee then Avast free, maybe less features and control same basic stuff. So go free with what you have now.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Just wanted to thank everyone again and let you folks know that I purchased one year of Avast Pro Antivirus for one user for $23.99. I purchased it from the downloadcrew site that was posted by MarkAW above.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

1 recommendation

fuziwuzi to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

Thanks Rebrider See Profile for the great post. I am careful where I go and have also been online since dialup. I think that I've had one virus about 5 or 6 years ago.

The machine that I want to protect is my laptop which I do not use every day. I really only go to certain mainstream sites with it, and I know that if you have to stray, Google with WOT are your friends.

Because I do not use my laptop every day, I've been thinking of trying a free program like MSE. Avast expires in 15 days. I will post what I end up using.

I've tried all the free options and I stick with MSE (on my Win7 Ultimate 64). None of the others come close to being as resource-stingy as MSE. I honestly never know it is there unless the few times it has tagged a potential malware in something I've downloaded. As the other guy said, the best defense is being a smart user.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
since you have been using "avast", i would recommend that, one way or another, you continued using it.. i think avast is a good program..