Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mmr1

join:2004-11-23
UK

1 edit

how low can it go?

Currently using nymgo's sip service. Their rates are incredible! UK mobiles at 2.6c and Swiss mobiles at 9c. My only gripe is they do not support per second billing or sendrpid service (sending the original caller id when forwarding a call).

Can anyone better those rates? or find similar but with the two features mentioned above?

Finally was wondering about the discrepancy in prices, for example voip.ms charges 18c for UK mobiles albeit with a much better feature set, perhaps MartinM would care to comment....

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:24

Take a look at Voxbeam, CheapVoipInc and CallWithUs. All allow you to set the outbound caller ID dynamically (though some require it in the From header). The respective owners all participate in this forum.

Voxbeam has one-second billing on most routes and offers a $1 free trial at signup.

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net
reply to mmr1

said by mmr1:

Finally was wondering about the discrepancy in prices, for example voip.ms charges 18c for UK mobiles albeit with a much better feature set....

1) Nymgo provides outbound calling only.

Think about that. That's the ultimate cherry-picking.

If EVERY company offered only OUTBOUND calls, how would anybody be able to RECEIVE calls?

2) As you have said, Voip.MS offers far more in terms of features and real North American customer service.

3) AFAIK, Nymgo does not let you specify an outbound Caller ID number. When I tried it a couple of years ago, the outbound caller ID showed up as some 4-digit code, as I recall.

4) Nymgo is not so much a company as a social experiment.

They have two big sugar daddies:

a) Intel Capital (yes, THAT Intel) who has a vested interest in promoting all types of IP usage.

b) Abraaj Capital, a very well-funded worldwide investment group based in Dubai, UAE. They have the deep pockets to be able to subsidize companies in the short term so as to have those companies dominate in the long term. Abraaj is the parent of Riyada Enterprise Development (RED) which is the specific entity that invested in Nymgo. Riyada invests in companies in Lebanon, and Lebanon is where Nymgo got started though they now also have UK and Luxembourg offices.

Ref:
»www.nymgo.com/EN/about-us/

If you read here, you will see that Nymgo promotes itself as a very no-frills operation, and that their main target is Skype:
»www.abraaj.com/news-and-insight/···vestmen/

mmr1

UK

These are all valid points, I doubt however that nymgo is losing money and the discrepancy is still really large....

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net
reply to Gershom 1624

said by Gershom 1624 :

a) Intel Capital (yes, THAT Intel) who has a vested interest in promoting all types of IP usage.

Thinking about it, in fact, here is how some of the biggest comtech companies are going into telecom:

1) Microsoft bought Skype.

2) Intel invests in Nymgo, a direct competitor.

3) Google ---> GoogleVoice, free outbound NorthAm calls and cheap calls elsewhere.

4) Apple (always a consumer device focused company) does the [iPhone].

Although Apple likes to make its money in the short term, those other 3 companies generally take a longer-term POV to gain and maintain market share....

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net
reply to mmr1

said by mmr1:

These are all valid points, I doubt however that nymgo is losing money and the discrepancy is still really large....

It's not quite so clear.

Let's look at the facts:

UK Mobile (brought to 4 decimals, USD, one minute):

Nymgo
Some UK Mobile are 0.1800 while some other UK Mobile carriers are 0.0260

CallWithUs

Voip.MS
Range from 0.1456 to 0.2215 depending on the specific UK mobile carrier

Cheap Voip Inc
Range from 0.0690 to 0.1380 including VAT depending on specific mobile carrier

Localphone---which is BASED in the UK:
*H3G, O2, Orange, Tmobile, Vodafone 0.0790
*BT Fusion and some others 0.1990

Vonage
0.2800 to 0.3400 (28 cents to 34 cents) depending on monthly service plan

--------------------------

While Vonage is too high, Nymgo definitely seems too low.

Am I complaining about something being too low?

If it is priced below cost, driving out competitors and subsidized by venture capital derived from oil, then yes.

Because I -want- a variety of VoIP companies to stay in business.

Also, you felt that Voip.MS was way too high, but they are really not, their prices are in line with other real VoIP providers.

said by mmr1:

At those prices they probably -are- losing money for the short term.

mmr1

UK

Am actually curious about voxbeam and cheapvoipinc, have known nitzan from way back. Does anyone know if voxbeam supports password sip security together/instead of ip based security?

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia

said by mmr1:

Am actually curious about voxbeam and cheapvoipinc, have known nitzan from way back. Does anyone know if voxbeam supports password sip security together/instead of ip based security?

Voxbeam does not.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 11.0.2 on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

MZB

join:2010-11-25
Dunrobin, ON
reply to mmr1

The UK mobile rates are unusually low. Might almost think there was a decimal point error on data entry.

But I can't see anything on their website indicating that they support SIP / open standards. As far as I can tell they are running a Skype-like proprietary setup - with an additional VPN requirement.

@nmr1 Do they actually support SIP? Can you use a standard ATA?

If so, they might be of interest as part of a least-cost routing.

mmr1

UK

they do I have them setup with sip right now

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to MZB

They are comparable with Voxbeam rates. Which means that they make practically no money on it but they are not subsidizing it either.