Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

said by TLS2000:

Seriously, did you have to troll that comment?

70 seconds is WAY better than the old days. I remember my 9800 took ten minutes to boot once.

i wasn't trolling, 70 seconds seems awfully long compared to other devices.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

i wasn't trolling, 70 seconds seems awfully long compared to other devices.

That's because by design - and for obvious reasons - its boot process is more complex than other device.

If they've gotten it down to 70 seconds, that's impressive. My S3 isn't much less than that.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Are boot times really an issue anymore? My phone's on 24/7 and I go months between reboots (usually for OS updates) of my iPhone. I would expect the same for any modern smartphone. The occasional 70 second reboot shouldn't be a concern.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Riamen:

Are boot times really an issue anymore? My phone's on 24/7 and I go months between reboots (usually for OS updates) of my iPhone. I would expect the same for any modern smartphone. The occasional 70 second reboot shouldn't be a concern.

The old BB's, hell, even the newer Curves, require a battery pull every couple days. Something eats the memory and you start to get the "clock with moving arms" popping up. Reboot is a good 4 minutes.

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71

I have to do a simulated battery pull every night on my 9800, and then sometimes I still have to take the case apart and do a real one. What a joke.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by kingb71:

I have to do a simulated battery pull every night on my 9800, and then sometimes I still have to take the case apart and do a real one. What a joke.

Has to be app related - my Torch9800 (running 6.0 bundle 3049 - v6.0.0.706, Platform 6.6.0.246) never needs a reboot or battery pull. I've had it for 2 years and I think I've maybe done a battery pull or "shift-alt-del" no more than 3 or 4 times in that 2 years... one of those was due to loading a bad app that would crash on launch (an "android like" finger pattern slide unlocker), one was due to a bad bluetooth file transfer that seemed to lock everything up, and one was an unknown "hard lock" - took it out of my pocket and nothing would do anything - so I pulled the battery and all was well. Other than that - I never restart it except when an app update requests it (which is maybe once a month or so at most..). I wish everything else I had required so few reboots or restarts.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to kingb71

Premium Member

to kingb71
said by kingb71:

1. Simulated battery pull doesn't have the same effect as a real battery pull so perhaps your issue isn't being resolved.

2. Update your phone's software if you haven't. You can use newer software from other providers if you delete the vendor.xml file.

3. If neither of that fixes your problem, wipe out your apps and install them one at a time so you can figure out which app is causing you the issue.

I've had different Blackberry phones for years and I've only had to do battery pulls until I removed causing programs.

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71

thanks, I just do the battery pull to free up some memory, even though I close all my apps after I use them I use the phone so much I need to free up memory occasionally.