spc
uniqs
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned) to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy

Re: Bell from Hell & the 2-Wire 2701HG-G Modem

I completely agree. You can actually use any modem you wish on Bell from Hell's network, but they don't like when you do. This is sad really because it's just Bell from Hell's way of trying to push their stronghold on the monopoly down the throats of their customers. This is part of why I got a lawyer involved.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009

I don't think this is really a problem with Bell blocking modems with Singtel firmware. Many have reported issues with this firmware for a few years when people started flashing it. It's that the Qwest and AT&T firmware work better in most line conditions.
MrMazda86 (banned)
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

Duly noted.

It seems to work great now that the Qwest firmware is on it. The strange thing was that if I had the modem connected to their main phone line, I couldn't even get into the web interface for the modem most times because it was like the connection suddenly couldn't be made. With this firmware on it however, it seems to be behaving beautifully and now seems to deliver a slightly faster connection (1.41Mbit DL / 620Kbit UL / 115ms vs 1.1Mbit DL / 300Kbit UL / 250ms), and a much more reliable usability. It was a bit of a learning curve compared to Bell from Hell's crapware, but it was MUCH easier to navigate through and configure, and integrates the MDC into the main interface instead of hiding things and locking them down. We're both thrilled.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to MrMazda86

to MrMazda86
said by MrMazda86:

I completely agree. You can actually use any modem you wish on Bell from Hell's network, but they don't like when you do. This is sad really because it's just Bell from Hell's way of trying to push their stronghold on the monopoly down the throats of their customers. This is part of why I got a lawyer involved.

I thought they put measures in place to lock you into certain modems (at least on VDSL2 maybe not ADSL)
MrMazda86 (banned)
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

They do in the sense that they've gone out of their way to try and force their DSL modems with their proprietary crapware on them and force you to have to rent them from them, but you can actually get the same make/model of modem from another provider that isn't network locked and bring them over to Bell, without Bell having issues with it.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to MrMazda86

to MrMazda86
Bell ruins their modems with their shitty firmware. Too bad because they could use the generic 2wire firmware which is excellent or devise their own usable one like Qwest did.