Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Should I replace this TV yet

I have a 2007 Toshiba Tube SDTV that is starting to act up. It is starting to show a slight yellow where there is supposed to be white and it is starting to not respond to the remote (both xfinity remote and Wii U TV control app).

It also cuts off the sides when I am playing Wii U, even though it is in letterbox.

Best Buy has some very reasonable prices on HDTVs right now. The TV stand is designed for up to a 27' Tube TV and I have no interest in ditching the TV stand.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
If it were me and I had the money, sure, why wouldn't I?

Re: stand -- you could probably still go larger than 27" TV if you wanted as HDTVs typically come with stands shorter than their overall width...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I have a 2007 Toshiba Tube SDTV that is starting to act up. It is starting to show a slight yellow where there is supposed to be white and it is starting to not respond to the remote (both xfinity remote and Wii U TV control app).

It also cuts off the sides when I am playing Wii U, even though it is in letterbox.

Best Buy has some very reasonable prices on HDTVs right now. The TV stand is designed for up to a 27' Tube TV and I have no interest in ditching the TV stand.

I replaced my 18 year old 32 inch Tube TV that worked fine with a 46" HDTV a few months ago and never looked back, its awesome. So I would recommend moving up especially with a SDTV thats giving you problems, time for retirement. It will be easier to move around and save a little on power consumption as well as a superior picture.

I also think you might want to look at least a 32" HDTV size set. As a 27" HDTV wouldn't be as tall as your current TV only wider and seem a lot smaller. I'd go 42" personally but go with what fits your budget and fit.

This is a decent site that shows size differences. I plugged in your 27" SDTV with a 32" HDTV.

»www.displaywars.com/27-inch-4x3-···nch-16x9

It should fit your stand no problem as HDTV's tend to be light, just depends on the TV's stand footprint. If your stand is enclosed then you'll have to buy what fits.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
reply to IowaCowboy
Another question I have is can new HDTVs support Composite (RCA Red/yellow/white) inputs as I have older devices I'd like to hook up (Super Nintendo, N64, etc).

buddyfrench

join:2000-07-17
Brandon, MS
I have 2 older HDTVs (3 years old) both have composite inputs, actually they have every input imaginable. However only one set of those inputs while multiple HDMI .
I am guessing you are looking for a reason to replace a perfectly working old TV. Just do it. You will not regret it. Treat yourself !

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by buddyfrench:

I have 2 older HDTVs (3 years old) both have composite inputs, actually they have every input imaginable. However only one set of those inputs while multiple HDMI .
I am guessing you are looking for a reason to replace a perfectly working old TV. Just do it. You will not regret it. Treat yourself !

It's starting to act up, you have to push the button on the remote multiple times (despite using multiple remotes and a clear lines of sight) to get it to respond.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Another question I have is can new HDTVs support Composite (RCA Red/yellow/white) inputs as I have older devices I'd like to hook up (Super Nintendo, N64, etc).

My new Samsung has the RCA component hook ups (red,green blue). It doesn't have the ones you are looking for though Red/Yellow/White. Its one of the reasons I decided to upgrade my A/V receiver as well. Most things are moving to HDMI now.

I'm not sure if you can use component hook ups on your equipment.

--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to IowaCowboy
TV stands, unless they are enclosed around the screen, are typically rated by weight. So pretty much any new LCD/Plasma would likely work on that stand.
--
Google is your Friend