I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

Online Storage

Hello all, I have two things I would like to bring up about online storage. With the demise of Apples iDisk (which I'm still scratching my head over with all of Apples focus on the "Cloud"), I find my self looking for a replacement. I have dabbled with the usual free offerings such as Drop box, Skydrive, G-drive, and The Box. I have recently even started using a Western Digital "My Book Live" NAS. I find all of these services usable, but limited in different ways with their free versions. Before I plunk down my money to pay for a subscription to one of these, I would like to get as many of my friends here at ATM opinions on what they use, and why (i.e. ... best integration between OS platforms PC,Mac, IOS devices). Do you trust the Services APPs to be on your MAC for drag and drop folder syncing? Does everyone find the services comparable and just use them all for the most free online storage.
#2 I did find a pretty sweet offer for 50 GB's of free storage if anyone is interested in "The Box" »www.box.com/signup/o/dell_50gb_give_get
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

I use Dropbox and have a TrueCrypt encrypted folder within the DB folder that I drag and drop files into. So far, that's all I need. I do also have a 2.5" drive on my desk that I use SuperDuper to backup to 3 days/week which is also encrypted. I know that this is getting paranoid but I also have a SDHC that I backup my "Backup Folders" contents that I created inside "Documents" to once a month and keep it in a firebox inside the residence.

Expand your moderator at work

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO
reply to not quite right

Re: Online Storage

I use MS SkyDrive 25 GB and it works perfect with all my devices, OS X, iOS, Windows and Android ... imagine the irony.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to not quite right

Might want to take a look at Dolly Drive: »www.dollydrive.com/

not quite right

Puyallup, WA

Dolly drive is very interesting thank you. Anyone else?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to not quite right

I use DropBox as "shared" storage between all my computers, and I also have a pair of NASs. As far as the services I've used (NAS, SkyDrive, and Drop Box), I've found Drop Box to be the most simple to use, and a NAS the most flexible.

Of course I do have my reservations about it having access to all of my files, but I will Wireshark it one of these days to see what it phones home about.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to not quite right

I think there is a box.com free 50gbs for life link floating about on the internets somewhere

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

said by Mike:

I think there is a box.com free 50gbs for life link floating about on the internets somewhere

It was at the end of my post ...
The biggest turn off on Box free was the 248mb file size upload limit. Had to subscribe to get that lifted. Which I'm OK with, but I want make sure I'm spending my money on the best service if I do subscribe, hence my post.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium
join:2002-04-24
Fort Smith, AR
reply to not quite right

Apparently the free 50gb offer is over.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to not quite right

A bit of a tangent -

I have 2 dropbox accounts
One has .2 gig in it
The other has 1.5 in it

Got this notice in this mornings mail:

Hi Robert,

This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape.

If you're thinking of upping your Dropbox's belt size, you can always upgrade to get more space.

Happy Dropboxing!
- The Dropbox Team

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
reply to chadrob30

You're right, it does seem to have ended.