Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

Re: Freon cooling

... Even though it's in a sealed loop? that's a new one on me.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by C0deZer0:

Yes. Refrigerants are dangerous chemicals. They are an environmental hazard and can be deadly. They can also be volatile.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

It maybe classed as a sealed loop, but like cars for instance, you can not build one and have it registered without engineering approval. I could understand that something like this would need a technician to put it together and also an engineer may need to sign off on it due to the chem rating for some gases these days. So building it yourself and saying it is sealed is not enough, there would also be solder and or bronze specs that need to be included due to leakage of the gas.

Try putting up a gas hot water system up at home and then ask the insurance company if they would insure, I bet 99% would say no, a gas fitter needs to sign to off on fitment.

No different.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by norwegian:

Try putting up a gas hot water system up at home and then ask the insurance company if they would insure, I bet 99% would say no, a gas fitter needs to sign to off on fitment.

No different.

The gas company here won't even supply gas if it is not installed and tested by a licensed technician. And they have to inspect it. Same with hydro.

Nanoprobe3
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

Nanoprobe3

Premium Member

The other big problem with this type of cooling is condensation. If you don't have everything that handles the cooled freon completely covered you're only 1 drop away from a blow up. Just look at the condensation that comes from a home A/C unit (especially in high humidity areas) and you'll get the picture

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

Yep, general public are not allowed to play with rated utilities.
Even your own soldered/bronzed copper plumbing lines in a new house has to pass inspection. Let alone a gas.

Creating something new with a gas as a coolant would require an engineering certificate, not a technician. Little different for standard products and fitting them, but design anything new and an engineering certificate would be required.

I think this at home without lodging the cert at the insurance office would help void any issues if it all went up and the fire unit found house was guttered by Freon.

-----------

Don't get me wrong, love seeing anything posted new and they certainly look the part, thanks for the topic. I'm gathering they were put together by techs though; and would love to see the differences in loads/timing/temps etc and the logs created when testing it all out. Youtube to the rescue.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Just go with one of these:

Cooler Express 2013 Design Super Evaporator CPU / GPU Cooling Unit w/ Upgraded Socket Kit - All Sockets

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Now that looks like an off the shelf solution to the hot summers.