Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

[TV] Cat and Coax

Just wondering,

Can Fibe TV be installed with both Cat and Coax cable as a mix, or must it be one or the either?
xporterX
join:2010-07-11

xporterX

You can use both.
eyespy6
join:2002-12-09
Canada

eyespy6

Good to know!!
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Keep in mind the connection hub has only 4 Ethernet ports and receivers need to be directly connected to it. What typically happens is the modem is beside the pvr with a 2 foot patch cord and the rest are run on coax.

Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

Doesnt have to. i use a switch for my receiver. Its not supported if you have issue, but it work fine,
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Key word if u call for a tech the first thing we will do is disconnect the switch And Bill you P:)
Viper359
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

my problem is this:

I live in an older condo, late 90's. Right now, Rogers supplies my cable and internet. My home phone is via Voip.ms, which I handle. There is no way I am getting Bell's internet at the horrible speeds they have right now. Not happening.

So, I will either keep Rogers internet, or, hopefully soon, start.ca if they offer the 75/2 or 150/10.

Since I don't have CAT5 wired anywhere other than two connections, 1 to a bedroom, and 1 to my home theatre room, where a switch handles all the devices, I would be forced to have everything setup via Coax.

I would have to attempt to find out if one outlet is the entry point from the Rogers closet to my condo, and from there separate it, that way I can keep the entry Rogers coax for my separate internet, and then let Bell use the rest of the connections in the condo for the tv service. I am not even sure if this is how Rogers enters my condo.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Then you likely have no worries fibetv is very difficult to get if not impossible without bells internet product p.
Viper359
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

I will get the lowest internet, then zero rate it after a few months. Still doesn't solve my problem, but thanks.
sunnyd71
join:2004-05-22
l7z2t4

sunnyd71 to Viper359

to Viper359
I don't think it would make much of a difference but I've been told it's highly recommended to at least setup the PVR using CAT5 rather than coax. I've tried switching between the two and found absolutely no difference. I'd think Cat5 is a simpler option for all receivers to avoid conversion to a signal handled over coax so if possible, use that. Hopefully someone has a better understanding if it makes a difference or not.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Usally i do 1 box cat 5 the rest coax, with the cat5 being beside a tv and modem there as well. Mostly do it on main floor so as to give the best wireless saturation
Viper359
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

Well, I just filed my complaint with the competition bureau, I will see how that goes, regarding the forced internet, and if that fails, I will go to the CRTC.

Bell reps just outright lie when they say internet is required to make Fibe TV work. Its not true, at all, unless, you want to use some crummy app to check your facebook. Anyone who says it is, is dead wrong.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Well its not a Lie actually Internet is required to make fibe tv work, no Internet no Tv as it is actually IP TV, what bell is doing though is refusing to sell IPTV on its own connection and demanding that you bundle services with your Actual Internet. its not like we assign u 2 Different ports though,
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by morisato:

Well its not a Lie actually Internet is required to make fibe tv work, no Internet no Tv as it is actually IP TV, what bell is doing though is refusing to sell IPTV on its own connection and demanding that you bundle services with your Actual Internet. its not like we assign u 2 Different ports though,

It is certainly not required. There are various ways to ensure that the internet flowing into the home is used for TV traffic only. They're requiring internet subscriptions purely for business related reasons.

Bell probably doesn't want to invest time and money on developing ways to block internet access for TV only customers. Also the apps that they advertise as a product differentiator rely on an internet subscription and usage of those apps count towards your monthly cap, so for marketing purposes it makes sense to just require customers to subscribe to internet. Lastly, most consumers have no need for speeds exceeding 25mbps so they don't care who they get their internet from so they won't have an issue signing up for Fibe Internet to get Fibe TV.

I'm not sure what regulators can do about this though. Rogers in the past required a subscription to cable TV in order to get their internet service. There was no technical requirement for this, and market activity not regulation forced them to change their policy.

Lastly, as much as I'd like to switch to Fibe TV, the way they sell the product is quite disingenuous. I constantly get calls with reps telling me how I should switch to Fibe TV and internet because Fibre is so much more advanced than Cable (I live in a FTTN area), and how their 15mbps plan will be faster than my Rogers 25mbps plan because the Bell service is delivered over "fibre"...
Viper359
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

Viper359 to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
Well, actually, it is a lie. If you want to drink the company Kool-Aid, that is your business, but don't confuse fact with Bell Canada spewed fiction. IPTV does NOT require internet, period. I don't require the internet to steam things from the backend in my house, (read my server) to hard wired devices (read bells infrastructure) to watch on a tv. Its a LOCAL area network. That in a very simple term is what Bell's service is. Its an isolated section of their network, that delivers content from their offices to my tv.

Just because it has the words internet protocol doesn't mean it has anything to do with the internet as most people refer to it. IP is nothing more than a numerical address.

Next you are going to tell me Bell didn't call Fibe internet Fibe, so they could market it, and mislead consumers into believing Bell was delivering some new, state of the art product, over Fibre Optics.

Apparently if you tell a lie long enough, people will start believing it.

I will agree with a part of what you said..."no Internet no Tv " if bell has a total network problem, since anything delivered over IP can cause a total failure of everything if its not separated, isolated, and have built in fall backs. Based on what I have seen supposed Bell techs say, I very much doubt they have. At least with Rogers, in the few outages I have had in 10++ years, I cannot think of one time my cable hasn't worked.
Viper359

Viper359 to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
Really? I don't remember Rogers requiring cable tv with it, that being said, I was an @home user in Shaw territory before Rogers bought it out, and had the monopoly in Toronto, so because of that alone, I might not have been involved in that.

I shall find out what regulators can do, which is why I started with the competition bureau, as it is anti-competitive.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by Viper359:

Really? I don't remember Rogers requiring cable tv with it, that being said, I was an @home user in Shaw territory before Rogers bought it out, and had the monopoly in Toronto, so because of that alone, I might not have been involved in that.

I shall find out what regulators can do, which is why I started with the competition bureau, as it is anti-competitive.

Yep, they did. It was a very long time ago. Even to this day, the rogers billing system requires a code for internet only customers that tricks the system into thinking the customer has cable TV.
samygent
join:2005-06-25
Laval, QC

samygent to Viper359

to Viper359
I'm using powerlines. Tech told me I'm not supposed to do that. Told him to directly plug his cat 5 cable to the pvr, test it and leave. He didn't want to because he had to do a "clean job". Told him to do it my way or leave. He finally did it my way , tested the pvr and left. been 2 months and everything work fine.