uniqs
share rss forum feed

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Teksavvy outage London?

Is the outage affecting those of us on TSI in London also affecting start.ca users? Curious because someone reported the problem as a fiber line being cut. I would have thought that multiple routes exist and traffic would simply be routed over links that are working. Granted that might not provide the best speeds but anything would be better then nothing. Which has been the case since last night about 930pm

londoner1

London, ON
Can anyone confirm that the outage is also affecting start.ca customers on cable in London?

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to londoner1
There is not always other routes.

4 years ago large parts of eastern ontario lost internet, phones, cells, 911 service when a fiber cut happend. It was 8 hours before it was fixed. It took them 1.5 years to put a new line in place as a backup so it never happened again. The only reason they were pressured into a new line was the 911 failure.

londoner1

London, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
Fair enough redundancy costs money and it's always a balancing act as to cost vs service...

However the question I posted was to determine if this most recent outage with TSI (a so called fiber break) also affected Start.ca users in London...if not i'd be most interested in why.....Does start.ca have some redundancy in place, was it just luck that they are not on the same fiber (it apparently affected Distributel as well i hear)

alpovs

join:2009-08-08
Apparently that outage affected only London TekSavvy customers. All other rumors are unconfirmed. During the outage the traffic stopped after 24-52-255-166.cable.teksavvy.com. The next hop is always TekSavvy's (24-52-255-165.cable.teksavvy.com or london3.cable.teksavvy.com). So, it was a cut between TekSavvy's London POI and the rest of the world. Apparently, TekSavvy has only one line for London with no redundancy.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to londoner1
said by londoner1:

Can anyone confirm that the outage is also affecting start.ca customers on cable in London?

We were not impacted by any outage today.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
Good to know, and most encouraging.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

We were not impacted by any outage today.

Look at that, on duty even on a Sunday !

So the AGG network is fed differently than the existing POIs (at least the Rogers one seems to be).

Or was this a DHCP issue ? (Each TPIA ISP would have their own pool of these which the incumbent assigns to the logins/MACs, regardless of AGG or not, IIUC.)

We had been speculating about all of this during the wee hours....

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Sorry not sure what the issue was with the other ISP, just know whatever it was didn't impact us.