CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed

MVM

Noooooo - my fav keyboard broke the K key....

I tried to fix it and thought I did but after putting it all back together - it stopped working again....

This is a keyboard from a Zeos PC I got back about 1995 - for a little history of Zeos - see this:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeos

I really liked the feel of the keys and yes - I like them clickey as well.

Now I have to find a new one Very few keyboards at the store have straight bottoms and I have to have that for my keyboard tray...

EDIT:
The K key sort of works - but I tried to kill it more by pouring water on it.... It is now drying out in front of a space heater.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Try a Filco Majestouch 2. Straight case, Cherry MX switches. Not cheap, but well worth it.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I will have to keep those in mind (though I am not sure I can do letters on the side of the keys) - I had to get one now as I also broke the L key as well. So odd to be typing on a different keyboard.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I've had to use many different keyboards, and if you can type without looking at the keyboard then you might find yourself slowing down if the location of keys changed like the insert/home/pgup delete/end/pgdn might be vertical instead of horizontal.

It's not really that big of a deal, I prefer to pick keyboards on their tactile response, and how quiet they can be these days. I have a few spare keyboards, and the basic oem keyboards do fine.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I will have to keep those in mind (though I am not sure I can do letters on the side of the keys) - I had to get one now as I also broke the L key as well. So odd to be typing on a different keyboard.

Filco keyboards also have standard models. I have one. Simply superb.
DKS

DKS to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

I've had to use many different keyboards, and if you can type without looking at the keyboard then you might find yourself slowing down if the location of keys changed like the insert/home/pgup delete/end/pgdn might be vertical instead of horizontal.

I started with an XT keyboard with the F keys down the side. Can't get used the the nonsensical AT type.

It's not really that big of a deal, I prefer to pick keyboards on their tactile response, and how quiet they can be these days. I have a few spare keyboards, and the basic oem keyboards do fine.

God help you. Once you have had mechanical, you can never go back.

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

stevennb to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
»pckeyboard.com/
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Are they spill resistant? From user reviews they are not for that money. I was pleasantly surprised when there was an accident with a cheap keyboard, and the drink just ran out of some drainage holes at the bottom. Other than popping off a few keys, and cleaning them there wasn't any issue with the keyboard afterwards. It's still working years later.

My only complaint with cheaper keyboards is they don't etch the keys anymore unless you get an expensive keyboard, and the labels wear off some brands. I wear out those labels on the keyboards I game with.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I will have to get used to the Windows Key - may have to see about the program to disable it.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I play games where having the start menu interrupting you can really suck, and I rarely hit it by accident, however yes you disable it with software. There's useful keyboard combinations with that key so I'd leave it enabled personally.

You may not like them, but I have some great Logitech keyboards, and as long as you're not using the cheap/oem keyboards you can use their software to disable the windows key, along with remap any special buttons they have like sleep. It was a Logitech which had the drainage holes, great design so that spills didn't get into another layer with the circuitry.

I've also used a program called keytweak which I'm not sure where to get anymore, and done things like remap the caps lock to left shift. I did it to my father without his permission after I kept getting things in all caps.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Are they spill resistant? From user reviews they are not for that money.

WTF are you doing with liquids around any computer?

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Gotta drink when you are at the keyboard for long periods of time...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by CylonRed:

Gotta drink when you are at the keyboard for long periods of time...

That's why God invented thirst and bathrooms; so you can get up and get away for a few minutes and have a life.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Don't use the K key

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to DKS

MVM

to DKS
nm
CylonRed

1 edit

CylonRed to DKS

MVM

to DKS
Looking for a job - I drink water all of the time. I would be getting up a lot and if you drink at work - you can't get up that often. I drink a large cup over the course of an hour and usually have about 5 cups of water before 5 PM.
CylonRed

CylonRed to Vamp

MVM

to Vamp
Impossible and I also broke the L key as well.

CovMac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA

CovMac to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
I agree with stevennb See Profile. I really like my Unicomp Model M, and after my wife tried it, I had to get her one also. After using several OEMs and MS keyboards over the past 15 years or so, it's far and away my fav.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
I'm a BIG fan of the old-school PS2 (IBM 1292 or 1401) Selectric keyboards... Not exactly ergonomic, nor feature packed, but they have an unmistakable feel and sound; and are basically indestructible...

I find many 'modern' keyboards to be mushy and lacking tactile feedback...

I do have an older (10-ish years) logitech that also serves me well - writing it worn off most of the keys, it's discoloured... In fact, it's actually kind of gross, come to think of it - but it feels good, and it works...