signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74

Re: Laptop, who here has knowledge and experience?

Oh I can't that that. My limit is 550. My refund is not enough for that. After sales tax, 550 is about 600, and there is shipping. I could maybe do 560, but my limit is pretty tight.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I was thinking maybe if down the line you should contemplate another laptop just to keep MSI in mind. They make some really nice stuff. Like I said I have some lower end laptops from Asus and Acer and they run just fine. I do prefer Intel over AMD at this particular point. The i3 and i5's are very quick.

How I go about buying a laptop is I make a list of what I want then start researching the different options (CPU, Hard drive, etc), then head to newegg and start checking off my list. Whichever brand has the most check marks at my budget price wins. The last thing I look at is maker unless it's someone I've never heard of then I have to do some extra research.

Good luck!

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

what things are on your list. What things do you suggest for MY list? Thanks!
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

I'm in the same boat you are but I've got a bit more to spend (I'd like to go no higher than $1000). I was going to post a similar question but figure the answers will be the same for me lol.

My current laptop is an Acer Aspire 5315-2326 and I've had good luck with Acers and bad luck with HPs. Every HP/Compaq I've had myself or know from friends have had several problems. Yeah I know it's anecdotal evidence but I personally steer away from HP/Compaq. Beyond that I have no issues with any other brands.

Here's what's on my criteria so far:
i5/i7 or AMD APU (prefer i5/i7)
1920x1080 resolution

Those two items alone start out my list from Newegg at $650 which puts it out of your budget. Most of that is because of the resolution I picked. I'd prefer the higher resolution but even the 1366x768 would be comparable to the 1280x800 my current laptop has.

With Windows 8, you'll really appreciate a touchscreen. You can find ones with a touch screen within your price range but just keep in mind, you get what you pay for so the touchscreen won't be the best of the bunch. Personally I'd probably reinstall Windows 7 if I didn't have a touch screen though I've yet to actually try Windows 8 myself so /shrug.

Criteria I'd like to see but not required:
Blu-ray (I have a slim USB Blu-ray drive so this isn't really required and means I don't even need an optical drive for that matter)
Touchscreen
8GB RAM (minimum 4/6 GB)
Quad core (dual core would be minimum)
17" screen (15ish minimum)
Dedicated GPU (still debating this one, HD4000 graphics are pretty good usually for WoW which is the most intensive thing I would do on it and would be better for battery life)
SSD (I could easily replace this myself later on too)

george357
Premium Member
join:2009-09-18
Marshall, NC

george357

Premium Member

JoelC707 just as an aside I am not sure how signmeuptoo or the mods will feel about hijacking the thread (sorta) but here is what I personally would get with your stated budget of $1000.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 34314005

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Feel free to advise him, I don't consider it hijacking in as much as the information might help me as well.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
For 1100 this MSI is a great sounding machine. Fast GPU-----the only drawback to me is the CPU
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 34152372
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to george357

Premium Member

to george357
Thanks! That's one I've come back to more than once. Good to see someone else recommend it, makes me feel better coming back to it lol.
JoelC707

1 recommendation

JoelC707 to Rifleman

Premium Member

to Rifleman
I came across that one too. It's more than I want to spend but it sure is nice. I too was a little apprehensive about the CPU but that GPU sure is sexy looking

MSI is a good one for sure and would be good to do games and other GPU intensive tasks on. I do have a desktop that I do that on though. My laptop is more for general computing when I'm not near my desktop (in the living room, laying in bed, etc). Thing is, my current laptop is capable for my current needs, but it is a bit long in the tooth. Of course if I HAD a laptop I could game from I might use it for that but I don't NEED something like that. I'm torn basically lol.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Rifleman

Premium Member

to Rifleman
Here's some info and testing on that laptop. Definitely an interesting model.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman

Premium Member

I had an older MSI GT780DX and it was an amazing laptop. The sound was very loud---to the point people in other rooms told me to turn it down. Gaming and running BOINC flat out never stressed the cooling past 75 degrees.
The GT and GE 70,60 models are lots of machine for the money. I had to sell mine as I needed cash and am sorry I did.
I thought I saw that laptop configured with the Ivy bridge I7 3630? listed on Newegg for 50 dollars more.