share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Strange keyboard issue

Guys, usually I figure out my own problems, and I've encountered some bizarre things over the years.

Well, here's a strange one:

Using two different keyboards, both Microsoft WIRELESS keyboards, with different transmitters, the same issue:

Sometimes typing stops or is intermittent, almost like the computer is possessed. I wonder if F@H or BOINC, or something else is interfering, or some other wireless device. I can't seem to find the cause.

Normally, a closing of the app or browser or even a reboot helps. Last night however, I awoke (this morning) to the video card fan racing and the screen blank and I had to power cycle my system. After reboot things seemed ok.

Also, I installed something that removed all my firefox home pages (is there a way to prevent that?) and is starting blank pages with some search engine of some sort I am not familiar with. It was after installing AIM and Skype I think. Boy this irritates me.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

I would run some malware/virus scanners first... eliminate that then maybe removing all software/drivers and starting over with the newest versions from the website. Also try moving your transmitter/receiver to a closer/better location with no metal or major devices between that and the KB-Mouse
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Indeed, some sort of malware. But I've run the delouse recommended by DSLR's security forum.

In any event, I just did a fresh OS install, changing to Win8, and still the keyboards act up a little. I need to get a wired keyboard, I suspect it has to do with the wireless. The transcievers are close.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA

How close... ANYthing in-between them? (silly but... new batteries?)

Maybe a different USB port?
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

one is hanging on the door of the cabinet, suspended above and to the right of a keyboard and mouse by a foot and a half. The other is in the front USB bay of the computer, to the right and below the keyboard tray. As close as they are going to get.
--

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to signmeuptoo

For the sake of process of elimination, I would use a USB extention cable and get then right next to each other... I have seen this be the problem before... not saying that is the case here but you would benefit by knowing for sure. Wireless stuff can be flaky because of other wireless stuff around... this should eliminate that possibility.

Sorry... not trying to beat a dead horse but I cannot see what you are describing and am still trying to help
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Gotta find my usb extension cable. But even so, antennas can be proximal and still interference will mess with things.

I need to buy a wired keyboard to really eliminate that variable. I'll probably have to wait a couple weeks to do so, however, as I'm just about broke ATM.
--

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI
reply to signmeuptoo

" one is hanging on the door of the cabinet, suspended above and to the right of a keyboard and mouse by a foot and a half. The other is in the front USB bay of the computer, to the right and below the keyboard tray. As close as they are going to get.
-- "
Just to make sure , you don't have them both plugged in at the same time do you ?
That could lead to some " interesting " issues

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

yes, because one is for a mouse AND keyboard, and I thought the problem was the keyboard and I don't have another satifactory mouse. The other is for the stand in keyboard. The problem preceded hooking both up.

In a few weeks I'll try to get a wired keyboard and maybe a wired mouse.
--