spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Realpro

join:2013-02-10

[IA] M card replacement

Have had M card issues since tech installed two new boxes Friday. Can I pick up a new card and a number to a tier 2 tech to re-pair the card & box or do I have to have another tech come out who knows little about service?

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

If it's a stand alone card (as in you have TiVo or card ready TV) you can. If this is a Mediacom DCT with a card in it they will have to replace the DCT too (you can take it to your local office and replace it yourself or have a trouble call scheduled).

On a side note, there is not much to do to troubleshoot the card, make sure the signal is fine, add it to the account and pair and activate it. If it doesn't work check account to make sure it's properly set up and replace the card if needed.

Welcome to the Mediacom forum!
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Realpro

Thanks! The card caused the HD box to seize and would then give a Cablecard error message. Unplug would allow it to resume but would then do the same. Swapped it with the card from the std box and it dropped all of the Sports & Info channels except the Golf Channel (odd but good!). Tier 2 re-paired and we were good for awhile but it is dropping that tier of channels again.

Next step?

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

If you have Mediacom DCTs you should not mess with the cards at all. If it doesn't work get it replaced.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

CblTch815

@mchsi.com
reply to Realpro

Anonymous is right. You should not have removed the cards from the boxes. That is actually tampering. The cards that are in the boxes are paired with the containing box in the equipment system. I know as a tech, even if the boxes are indeed the issue, if I come to a trouble call and see that the boxes have been messed with, you are getting a service call fee for sure and your account is getting noted that you physically tampered with the equipment and if it no longer functions you are buying it.

Realpro

1 recommendation

Yeah, understood. I wonder if customers actually started billing Mediacom for their time spent calling tier one support, getting dropped when transferred, waiting for techs to show only to require another the following week, if the service would improve enough so that a homeowner didn't feel the need to do anything except call for great service? Make any sense at all?