All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver

Distributel Fights Back Against Motion to Disclose...

Here is a link to an article from michaelgeist.ca, entitled "Distributel Fights Back Against Motion to Disclose Subscriber Information in File Sharing Case": »www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 781/125/. Considering the response of Distributel, you can't help but call into question the decision by Teksavvy to roll over.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

quote:
. Distributel did not oppose a similar request in November 2012
Thought that little tid bit was interesting.

None the less Distributel opposing the motion is quite change in position. Guess we'll see how it plays out.
bimmerdriver
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver

Agreed, but at least they grew a pair. Good on them!

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r

said by bimmerdriver:

Good on them!

+1, hope other CA providers follow suit!

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to bimmerdriver

Premium Member

to bimmerdriver
said by bimmerdriver:

Here is a link to an article from michaelgeist.ca, entitled "Distributel Fights Back Against Motion to Disclose Subscriber Information in File Sharing Case": »www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 781/125/. Considering the response of Distributel, you can't help but call into question the decision by Teksavvy to roll over.

Makes you wonder if Distributel was reading these forums since their minds changed around the time Teksavvy was served. Something changed their minds and maybe the people have spoken?

This will be an interesting time for Canadian ISP's IMHO. See who win's the battle with the trolls and see who wins over the customers. Our very own star wars. (sorry read the traceroute thread lol) Though i may get sued for using the star wars name in an online battle with trolls.

DarkStar33
join:2008-03-27
Toronto, ON

1 edit

DarkStar33 to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
One slight problem, if they mishandle this then Voltage has legal precedent in the case against TekSavvy.

It may also place safe harbor status at risk.

TekSavvy didn't "roll over", they let a more capable organization with an existing relationship with the courts take over the battle.

In the courts eyes they are accommodating the legal process, TekSavvy has no say in regards to the a federal matter (privacy law).

We are not even at the point where piracy cases have been established, this first case is establishing if that that information should be provided in the first place. If an intermediary advises the courts that they have no case, then the information will not be supplied.

CIPPIC and the Courts prerogative is to ensure that the legal process is not abused to extract private information.

Voltage has the right to there days in court just like everyone else, however they need to get to that point first.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
People have spoken? The "people" who caused this shit for the ISP should talk to the government who allowed it.We the other people have no idea what is happening behind the scenes and it should stay that way.This crap about growin a pair is stupid.We have a copyright law in effect so read it and then pay attention to how the courts rule so you know in the future what you can do.Canada is now lawsuit city like the US.Complain to the idiot harper who did it.

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by andyb:

Complain to the idiot harper

Dictators don't care what the people want . The 'idiot' is too busy protecting corporate interests...

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

I know that.No one else seems to thou.He's the one who started this free for all in Canada and he has to stop it.The courts can but who knows who has the bought off like in the Pirate Bay case where some of the ivestigators used to work for the RIAA
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan to DarkStar33

to DarkStar33
said by DarkStar33:

No it won't! This is a misconception that keeps getting repeated. There is absolutely nothing in the new Canadian copyright laws that states an ISP risks losing its safe harbor status if they oppose these types of motions.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
said by andyb:

I know that.No one else seems to thou.He's the one who started this free for all in Canada and he has to stop it.The courts can but who knows who has the bought off like in the Pirate Bay case where some of the ivestigators used to work for the RIAA

Corruption spreads, harper was just waiting his turn. WHen i say "people" i mean on the forums about standing up. Distributel seems to have changed a stance on the matter rather abruptly
said by Rastan:

said by DarkStar33:

No it won't! This is a misconception that keeps getting repeated. There is absolutely nothing in the new Canadian copyright laws that states an ISP risks losing its safe harbor status if they oppose these types of motions.

Everyone is a lawyer and thinks because a business chooses to do something it must be right and just. Until someone can show me this magical new law where they loose 'safe harbor' i'll agree with Rastan
bimmerdriver
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to DarkStar33

to DarkStar33
It remains to be seen whether the "more capable organization", presumably you mean CIPPIC, will even be a party to the proceedings. The "evidence" provided by Voltage is hearsay. Teksavvy has a responsibility to protect the privacy of their subscribers. They should have rejected the evidence accordingly. For them to act in the manner in which they did, is rolling over by any reasonable definition.

But don't listen to me, I'm not a lawyer. Read this article by Howard Knoff, called "Distributel Shows & Tells How an Indie ISP can Defend its Customers' Privacy Rights Against Alleged Copyright Trolling: Teksavvy Take Note": »www.excesscopyright.blog ··· isp.html.