MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Anav

MVM

to Anav

Re: Want to switch from MoCa to CAT5, no STB's, just TiVo

said by Anav:

the actiontech gets an ethernet (for internet) connection from ONT and a coax for the tv guide, ordering movies etc

To be clear, the ONT supports both cat5 and MOCA (coax) WAN connections (just not at the same time). VZ's standard install is MOCA to minimize cabling, but the ONT can easily be switched over to providing the WAN connection via cat5.
said by Anav:

I did figure out that there are some Trendent and Zyxel coax to ethernet converters that could be used in case one upgraded their STBs and PVRs to current ethernet standards

Not sure if you're referring to the Zyzel EOC350-TA/TS. I doubt those would work with FIOS. MOCA LAN bridges are really the simplest way to get an ethernet LAN connection in rooms that have coax.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
said by Anav:

coax reminds me of Bones on Star Trek commenting on 20th century surgeons, "barbarians".

LOL. True, but more homes are wired with coax than cat5.
said by Anav:

It seems FIOS resets wan IPs frequently, does that make 8 messy?

IPs don't change that often, but they do change. When this happens you need to change the "public IP" on the third router in option #8. Putting the three routers on an UPS can help prevent some but not all IP changes (e.g. VZ reboots their edge router).
1) Unless you pay for a business account with a static IP, your WAN IP can change.
2) VZ does push firmware updates to the Actiontec router. Usually this will just cause a reboot, but they have been know to cause a hard reset which will lose any customization done to the router and return the router to the default 192.168.1.x subnet.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Okay thanks much for your assistance.

SeeKnaY
join:2002-11-14
Westbury, NY

SeeKnaY to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

2) VZ does push firmware updates to the Actiontec router. Usually this will just cause a reboot, but they have been know to cause a hard reset which will lose any customization done to the router and return the router to the default 192.168.1.x subnet.

Thank you for this - I couldn't figure out why my LAN DHCP Table reverted to the default.