spc
Search similar:

uniqs

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

[NFL] NFL Considered Widening the field like the CFL

and may consider it again for safety reasons. Since the NFL uses one fewer player, I doubt they would even think about widening the field 12 yards to match the CFL. Instead, it is my opinion it would be roughly 6 yards which is what you get if you figure out the width per player in the CFL. Six yards is also more manageable with existing stadiums' existing setup, so the costs are probably not too bad.

Obviously the debate of whether to make the change is the impact. Would the change make the game safer for players, and how it would affect the game itself?
Coolbrz
join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA

Coolbrz

Im not sure how it would make safer really. Seems like it would give more room to get to top speed to lay someone out.

Quarterbacks trying to make it to the sidelines comes to mind i guess, as slow as most QBs are, linebackers get that much more time to lay them out, could always slide more I guess.

Widening the field would assist the offense alot more I think, defenses will be spread out more, but im not sure it will make it any safer.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Well, a bigger field would allow for more space for the players to be in therefore reducing big hits. It's like playing hockey on an international ice surface vs. an NHL sized ice surface. On the bigger international rink, hits are cut down considerably because the offensive player has more space to move in.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to btB

Premium Member

to btB
I think the game would be faster. It might make it a bit safer. I just wonder if they could do it with stadiums designed to the smaller NFL configuration.

They could use Toronto as a testing ground since they could use the CFL standard configuration for the Buffalo Bills series at no cost and get feedback from the players. I'm sure the Toronto fans wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to btB

to btB
I'm sure all fields could be widened but the loss in seats might upset the owners. Those are premium seats with high ticket prices they'd be losing.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

1 edit

Blogger to btB

Premium Member

to btB
From a safety standpoint is seems obvious to me it would increase the risk of injury. More space means more speed put to use in general, more separation and more built up speed for putting on the hits. Remember, each year the game has shifted more and more away from traditional tackling to putting the ball carrier down with a hit rather than a tackle.

Competitively it obviously would aid the passing game giving the receivers more room to roam and the DB's having larger zones.

I'm unclear why such a proposal is even being considered.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Blogger:

From a safety standpoint is seems obvious to me it would increase the risk of injury. More space means more speed put to use in general, more separation and more built up speed for putting on the hits. Remember, each year the game has shifted more and more away from traditional tackling to putting them ball carrier down with a hit rather than a tackle.

Competitively it obviously would aid the passing game.

I'm unclear why such a proposal is even being considered.

The average play is about 10 yards. A wider field means you bounce out more so less forward speed.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to btB

to btB
Imagine Roethlisberger and some other slower QB;s trying to run out of bounds to kill the clock, huffing and puffing and stopping to take a break or 2.

Widening the field will benefit speed guys.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to btB

to btB
Make it metric.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to fatness

to fatness
said by fatness:

Imagine Roethlisberger and some other slower QB;s trying to run out of bounds to kill the clock, huffing and puffing and stopping to take a break or 2.

Widening the field will benefit speed guys.

You contend an extra 15-18 feet is enough to 'wind' someone trying to get out of bounds? Are these guys donut eating cops or professional athletes?

evilt00l
join:2003-03-20
Winchester, KY

evilt00l to btB

to btB
Curious as to who says they are considering it? Is there an article about it? Or was this merely your suggestion.

Moorecards
join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV

Moorecards

»sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n ··· nfl.html

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to Draiman

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

You contend an extra 15-18 feet is enough to 'wind' someone trying to get out of bounds? Are these guys donut eating cops or professional athletes?

I was joking about the huffing and puffing and taking breaks. But if the field's wider slower QB's (and RB's) will get tackled more often before making it out of bounds to stop the clock.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

That is probably the point. Make the game a little more of a speed-oriented, while making it a little less 3rd yards-and-a-pile-of-dust. Those who favor the move likely think that with the wider field, there would be fewer cars in the pileup.

Honestly if such a change is made, my guess is that it would be for monetary reasons just as much as it is for safety reasons. Monetary in that owners are convinced that medical and insurance costs would be noticeably lower. Likewise, the owners would do it if they thought it would reduce the chance of losing huge chunks of change due to safety-related lawsuits in the future.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by btB :

That is probably the point. Make the game a little more of a speed-oriented, while making it a little less 3rd yards-and-a-pile-of-dust. Those who favor the move likely think that with the wider field, there would be fewer cars in the pileup.

Honestly if such a change is made, my guess is that it would be for monetary reasons just as much as it is for safety reasons. Monetary in that owners are convinced that medical and insurance costs would be noticeably lower. Likewise, the owners would do it if they thought it would reduce the chance of losing huge chunks of change due to safety-related lawsuits in the future.

The point is to make the game go sidelines to sidelines more which is a slower pace then goal line to goal line.

Your right the move is all about money. Medical, insurance, and even lawsuits are all valid points but not the main reason. The biggest reason is to keep players health so they play longer. If Ray Lewis could have played 2-3 more years that's a ton of extra cash for the league.