spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Crashrun2003

join:2013-02-10

Annex.M on Nexicom?

Anyone know if Nexicom will do Annex.M? Im needing a bit of an upload speed boost, but Im not sure who to contact for this.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9

You could just contact Nexicom, although they probably don't have the necessary equipment deployed for it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Crashrun2003

Why not? Most newer ADSL2+ DSLAMs can do it.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9

said by Guspaz:

Why not? Most newer ADSL2+ DSLAMs can do it.

Good to know.

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:1
reply to Crashrun2003

Yes we can do Annex M if it's an area served by our DSLAM's, but if it's off our DSLAM's (Peterborough, Lindsay, Millbrook, Cavan, Keene areas) you can also get VDSL.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
reply to Crashrun2003

note that ADSL2+ still uses the ATM network backend, if you're running simultaneous up/down traffic you're better off with VDSL because of ATM overhead.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Crashrun2003

ADSL2+ does not require ATM. It's capable of the same PTM mode that VDSL2 uses to carry ethernet directly. While Nexicom's ADSL2+ network probably does use ATM, it's not a given.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Crashrun2003

join:2013-02-10
reply to Crashrun2003

I called in but they had no idea about vdsl, so I didnt even mention Annex M. Not that I expected different. Frontline is like that anywhere, not saying anything bad.

pstewart
Premium,VIP
Peterborough, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

ADSL2+ does not require ATM. It's capable of the same PTM mode that VDSL2 uses to carry ethernet directly. While Nexicom's ADSL2+ network probably does use ATM, it's not a given.

That's correct -we do not use ATM on our ADSL/VDSL networks... we have one extremely small deployment left that is ATM based and it'll be converted to pure ethernet shortly as well...:)

pstewart
Premium,VIP
Peterborough, ON
reply to Crashrun2003

said by Crashrun2003:

I called in but they had no idea about vdsl, so I didnt even mention Annex M. Not that I expected different. Frontline is like that anywhere, not saying anything bad.

Sorry - somehow I missed this update ... did you get the answers you were looking for? If not, I'd call in again and ask for a supervisor as the front line should be fully aware of VDSL (maybe not so much Annex M)

Cheers,

Paul